Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ceramic over chrome??

This is a discussion on Ceramic over chrome?? within the Motorcycle Discussion forums, part of the General category; Does anyone know the best practices for applying ceramic over a chrome finish on pipes? I have yamaha rs warrior ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2006   #1

Default Ceramic over chrome??

Does anyone know the best practices for applying ceramic over a chrome finish on pipes? I have yamaha rs warrior (midnight) in which I purchased some Vance & Hines pipes (chrome). The bike is all black and I want my pipes to be black as well. I have a guy that has the ability to dip the pipes in a black ceramic but I am wondering if it is nesscary for me to scuff up the finish or sandblast the smooth chrome before applying the ceramic? Anyone have experience with this? I don't want to paint the pipes because we all know how that ends a couple years down the road. I haven't had any luck finding any threads on this. Thanks!
boomer gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006   #2

Not 100% sure with ceramics (ask your friend?) but I would have to say that is would adhere better and be less likely to flake and last longer if you took the chrome off, especially if it is older chrome that might be hiding a few rust bubbles underneath.
Nard22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006   #3

Ya I think you are right there. The pipes are new. I'm thinking take some sort of paper and just give it an even scuff.
Old 09-13-2006   #4

Well since they are new I might leave it and do as you stated. Just for a layer of extra protection from rust. I know I bought ceramic headers (Jet-Hot) for my Chevy and they were a nightmare. Rusted in less than a year!!!
Ramond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006   #5

ya thats exactly what I am trying to avoid. nothing against chrome... but it looks a bit out of place on my bike.
Old 09-16-2006   #6

Have them powder coated and you won't have an issue as they will be stripped first.
stunt is offline   Reply With Quote