Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

First Group Ride

This is a discussion on First Group Ride within the Motorcycle Discussion forums, part of the General category; So I'm going on my first group ride on Sunday. I rode for a buddy briefly last weekend and like ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2006   #1

Default First Group Ride

So I'm going on my first group ride on Sunday. I rode for a buddy briefly last weekend and like having someone else there. It just felt like we were a little more noticeable. Don't worry, I didn't get a false sense of security or anything.

Anyway, I am on a local board that has a lot of rides but it was actually someone I met on Craigslist who ended up telling me about this other group that was having a beginners ride this weekend. Basically, no twisties, no major hills or anything, just a nice, 95 mile ride out of the Phoenix area and back. They capped the RSVP's at 10 so that it would be a small group.

I think it's awesome that they're catering to the new kids (no matter how old we are) and giving us a chance to get out without any pressure. The other board has a good philosophy as well. They have a "never leave anyone behind" mentality and arrange their rides according to skill level so that you're always comfortable with whatever ride you're on.

Anyway, I'm excited so I thought I'd share. I'll pop in Sunday night and let you know how it went.
donald b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006   #2

Default First Group Ride

That's fantastic, Xian!
Starting out this way is a safe, fun way to "get your feet wet" and the consideration being shown by the group is outstanding!

Enjoy your ride, pay close attention to maintaining a safe distance from each other.
Group riding helps to teach finesse with the handling of the bike. Go for it!!!

CD
Jake C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006   #3

Default First Group Ride

Hey Xian,

If y'all ever plan to take a trip North of Phoenix and have an opening let me know. I haven't found any local groups yet.
Just a few more years and my kids will be able to get their license and go riding with the old man. I am really looking forward to that day:).
Laura W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006   #4

Default First Group Ride

Xian, I've never been on a group ride in my life. I'll go on my first one at the end of June and looking forward to it. I think it's great that your group do that for new riders. I wish we had something like that here. There are a couple charity and Christian rider groups in this area, but I'd rather join a group with no other purpose than to just ride together, be friends, and have fun. It's much more relaxed, no meetings, no agendas, just riding. So far, I haven't found one.
frankie r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006   #5

Default First Group Ride

Take care not to ride too close behind another rider, and don't ride side by side until you are used to riding in close quarters.

Si
liam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006   #6

Default First Group Ride

Yeah, I got the rules down pretty well. Also found the MSF video that they use in the training classes on YouTube (the one for group riding) and watched that about 10 times.
Old 12-04-2006   #7

Default First Group Ride

Awesome man! Have fun! Group riding is a blast, just keep your mind on what's going on and pay attention.
khanzadha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006   #8

Default First Group Ride

BTW, you know bikes can stop on a dime, so if you are following, watch their brake lights really closely. I have seen way too many people shoot up someones butt because they were in la-la-land.

Si
earth angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006   #9

Default First Group Ride

Went on my first group ride today. It was an "Intro Ride" meaning for beginners and since this was my first group ride, I figured what better ride to start with?

I'd tell you where we went but I think I'd rather let Google Maps tell you since I'm tired and want to take a nap.

It was a great ride. Not too many of us and we were accompanied by three guys who have been riding for quite a while. One led and the other two generally stayed back to make sure the group was okay. Once we got on the Southbound stretch out West, the two guys in back started showing some of their skills and it was quite entertaining. :)

It was perfect for my first ride and now I'm all kinds of excited for my next one. Maybe I'll even brave some (minor) twisties next time.
Old 12-07-2006   #10

Default First Group Ride

Heck, twisties are no big deal as long as you do what you were instructed to do in the safety course. The biggest problem with twisties is that people override their abilities. Just go slow around the curves and don't let anyone behind push you into going faster than you feel comfortable going. If someone blasts by you and does ok, don't let him give you confidence that your skills can't handle. Work into it gradually. If I recall correctly 50% of one-motorcycle accidents happen in curves. When I leave my driveway, I'm in twisties, but even so, I never push it. It's just not worth the risk.
ISOintelligentlife is offline   Reply With Quote