Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Garage Door Opener?

This is a discussion on Garage Door Opener? within the Motorcycle Discussion forums, part of the General category; This may be a stupid question, but how do you open and close a garage door when riding a bike? ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2006   #1

Default Garage Door Opener?

This may be a stupid question, but how do you open and close a garage door when riding a bike? In a car you have the portable button opener, but do you keep one of those on your bike, in your pocket, or do you have one of those keypad ones on the side of the garage?
ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006   #2

I have a zippered pocket on my leather jacket, over my left wrist. That's where the remote sits. Easy to reach, no fumbling around. Just grab the wrist and squeeze.
usmc4hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006   #3

There are no dumb questions here! That said, how does being on a bike instead of a car effect the opener's portability? LOL
beetlejuice49423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006   #4

There are no dumb questions here! That said, how does being on a bike instead of a car effect the opener's portability? LOL
I guess it's where you mount the garage door opener device. I could not find a good place to mount the opener to my bike (in a tasteful way).

So I put it in my left chest pocket -- now I have to reach in and get it (and with gloves, it's a pain). I have 3 doors and my garage door opener has 3 buttons so my solution was to stack some sticky fuzz circles one on top of the other so that there would be a protrusion on the button I wanted to press. I can then leave the opener in my chest pocket and then feel around (even with gloves) for the protrusion and press to activate the button for the door I always use.

Before I enter my garage, I stop, press, then enter. The motion I make is similar to how it looks like when one of the Star Trek folks wants to call someone by pressing his communicator pinned on his left chest area.

Dennis
lemonprotection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006   #5

Since theirs cars as well in my garage, I walk the bike in an out of the garage. So I always use the the outside mounted keypad.
NylonLegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006   #6

I keep it in my pocket with the button facing out and press it through my pocket when I get close
Miguel A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006   #7

On the motorcycle's seat. The garage door opener gets off the motorcycle, opens the garage door, then gets back on the motorcycle and rides the motorcycle into the garage, parks the motorcycle and closes the garage door. :D
highhillhick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006   #8

I think a lot of the popular makes have keychain fobs that you can buy and program. You may get a little rubbing on your triple though.
kimmer727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006   #9

I have my opener mounted on the side of the triple tree with double sided tape. It's easily accessable, stays put, and does not stick out like a sore thumb.

CD
Tiny Shit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006   #10

:o uh... what's a triple? Thanks.
kellycoonz is offline   Reply With Quote