Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > General > Motorcycle Discussion > Honda CB750K Limited Ed. 10th...

Honda CB750K Limited Ed. 10th...

This is a discussion on Honda CB750K Limited Ed. 10th... within the Motorcycle Discussion forums, part of the General category; Hey all: I have tank issue - it leaks gas - just enough to be concerned. Its happening on the ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2008   #1

Default Honda CB750K Limited Ed. 10th...

Hey all: I have tank issue - it leaks gas - just enough to be concerned. Its happening on the drivers L side, right of the ON/OFF/Rev switch as one looks at it. I took off the tank and its happening near/under where the mounting plate area was welded/folded to create the plate to screw on/hold tank in place. IS this something I have to... totally remove the welded plate that the mounting screw hold the tank on the bike.. or is it realistic to soldier/weld/high-epoxy-glue? Any comments would be helpful.

1979 Honda CB750K 10th Ann. Limited Ed. - ... close to mint ..
ty
Sontov
Sontov Hijiliak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008   #2

On the 750's the fuel petcock is held in place by a single screw type fitting. An O ring seal is compressed between the tank bottom and petcock body. Sometimes these O rings break after time, it sounds like fuel is leaking from this area, so a replacement ought to solve the problem. Also, there is a special rubber grommet behind the fuel tap that can go bad, as well as an O ring in the sediment bowl. All of these are suspect. Issue: Although the entire petcock assembly is still available from Honda some of the internal parts are not.

If you have determined that the leak is not the petcock but the tank has rusted through from the inside (unusual for a Honda - but they will do it if not properly stored) - try some JB weld in the affected area as a temporary fix, or to do it right you can try Cream tank treatment - BUT(!!!!) Read and really follow all the instructions before you use this infernal stuff. One poorly done step and it will be a mess not properly adhering to the inside of the tank and coming off in flakes later plugging your fuel filters. Be forewarned - this is not a quick process and it is vital that ALL the remnants of fuel be completely gone from the inside if the tank - you shouldn't even be able to small gas in the tank when you start the process.

I do not suggest that you try to weld, braze or solder the tank - but if you do is vital that ALL the remnants of fuel be completely gone from the inside if the tank - you shouldn't even be able to small gas in the tank when you light the torch - if you have fumes you are inviting a deadly explosion. You will also destroy the paint. Also, keep in mind the tank is very thin sheet metal and a very small (000 size) welding tip should be used to braise the leaking part of the tank-and the torch should be in the hand of a journeyman level welder with expertise working on very thin sheet metal. It is very easy to blow a hole in the tank with a oxy/acetylene welder. If you get to this point you will be in the market for a paint job.

Purgeing fuel - if you plan to weld fill the tank with very thin mineral oil to displace any of the fuel and remove the fumes. If you plan to use creme you will need to airiate the tank for a couple of days. I made up a rig to do this with some SCAT tubing and a high speed muffin fan mounted in a box - the fan blows air down the tubing and into the fuel filler opening which eventually will evaporate any remaining fuel.

Good luck.
John is offline   Reply With Quote