Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Kawasaki z1000

This is a discussion on Kawasaki z1000 within the Motorcycle Discussion forums, part of the General category; Z1000. My brother's thinking of getting this bike - he's not a newbie, was thinking about a SS (R6) but ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2008   #1

Default Kawasaki z1000

Z1000. My brother's thinking of getting this bike - he's not a newbie, was thinking about a SS (R6) but hates the seating position. Also, power wise it would seem to be a better fit for him to have a larger bike.

So, my quesitons to any owners/people with experience with these bikes:

- how are they around town?
- out on the open road - how is wind protection, is it suitable for longer rides?
- twisties - handling?
- seating position wise - and I'm talking about a longer ride, like 3-4 hours?

Thanks!
Fazdli84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008   #2

Default Kawasaki z1000

Scotian_Lotion has one, and its even seen track days - from what I can tell, he loves it! I think the styling is cool, but I am oldschool and like a nice full fairing motorcycle with a nice windscreen to hide behind. The z1000 exhaust is really nice for a stock system.

I would buy it if I was a Streetfighter type of rider.

-Grimmy
kbhiltsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008   #3

Default Kawasaki z1000

Since when is having farings old school? lol
carylbear1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008   #4

Default Kawasaki z1000

I've had mine for a little over 2 years now.

Good. A little more low end than your average supersport so you can ride at a lower rpm and feel comfortable.

- out on the open road - how is wind protection, is it suitable for longer rides?

No wind protection. You get used to it though. Only really sucks in the cold or when it rains. Longer rides are no problem. My usual for a long ride is between 600 to 1000 km in a day. A bit sore at the end of it but not too bad.

- twisties - handling?

Handles pretty good. More than enough for spirited street riding. Take it to the track and the shortcomings of the suspension start to reveal themselves. Good thing is a 636 suspension pretty much bolts right in and you can find the parts pretty cheaply on ebay.

I wouldn't consider 3-4 hours a longer ride, Should be a breeze on the Z. I've got a bad lower back and my wrists have seen better days. I can still do 1000kms in a day without much discomfort.I would compare the seating position to that of a dirtbike. Upright and high up. Feels kind of funny hanging off in the corners though.
richie c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008   #5

Default Kawasaki z1000

Basically, its a detuned ZX9R... more torque and same horsepower...

Comfortable riding position and if you know how to ride, you can really kick some a$$

Here's Scotian_Lotion on his Zeee One Thou at Shanny...

http://z1000.riderdestination.com/albums/userpics/10025/normal_Z1000_Turn_13_01.jpg
renpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008   #6

Default Kawasaki z1000

Since when is having farings old school? lol

Like I said: "FULL FAIRINGS" - Not like todays bikes where its almost half fairings with lots of working bits showing - I like it fully covered and nice and smooth and clean.

Dont get me wrong though - I like modern bikes thanks to the wonderful technology they offer though.

-Grimmy
Glenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008   #7

Default Kawasaki z1000

Love the Z1000... it's fun as fizzuck.

Low points would be the stock brakes (I have HH pads and braided lines) and the stock suspension is a bit Buick-like, but I managed a few track days on it before I dropped a ZX6RR racetech shock in the rear and had heavier springs up front to stiffen things up a bit.

Throw a 180 size tire on the back and it changes everything.
The stock exhaust is HEAVY. Just throwing a cheap 4-2-1 Hindle on it shaves 30 lbs easy.

So yea, fun bike... never boring (the wind will always keep you from falling asleep). Lots of quirks and vibrations but nothing you won't get used to.

Here are some more pics... I seem to be Mr. Z1000 around here... not a very popular bike that's for sure.

Yes, I'm an attention wh0re.
damnbrat57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008   #8

Default Kawasaki z1000

Z1000. My brother's thinking of getting this bike - he's not a newbie, was thinking about a SS (R6) but hates the seating position. Also, power wise it would seem to be a better fit for him to have a larger bike.

- twisties - handling?

Thanks!

Oh, and to answer your specific questions:

Around town, it's awesome. Very ridable. The leverage on the riser bars make the bike fall in to turns very easily. Lots of torque, but it's not scary... doesn't come alive unless you start whacking on it above 7000 rpm. I've traded up with lots of SS riders and they love it... it's a big difference as far as seating position goes.
Open road... I racked up 25,000 kms last season alone, so lots of open road riding, but it's WINDY, no doubt about it. Gets violently loud and battering above 200, but it's not a big problem unless you're a whiner.
Twisties? It's great.
Again, seating position is fine... put a Corbin on it if you like to spend hours on it though... the stock seat is nothing to write home about.
Mustang Sally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008   #9

Default Kawasaki z1000

I think another good thing about these bikes is that no one really wants to buy them - I've seen brand new ones basically being given away at dealerships. And barely used ones for under 8g's. Guess not everyone likes the looks.

I'll definitely recommend this bike to my brother though. Sounds like it's comfortable, fast, great around town and he loves the way it looks. Thanks for the feedback!
Fazdli84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008   #10

Default Kawasaki z1000

- twisties - handling?

Thanks!

Oh, and to answer your specific questions:

Around town, it's awesome. Very ridable. The leverage on the riser bars make the bike fall in to turns very easily. Lots of torque, but it's not scary... doesn't come alive unless you start whacking on it above 7000 rpm. I've traded up with lots of SS riders and they love it... it's a big difference as far as seating position goes.
Open road... I racked up 25,000 kms last season alone, so lots of open road riding, but it's WINDY, no doubt about it. Gets violently loud and battering above 200, but it's not a big problem unless you're a whiner.
Twisties? It's great.
Again, seating position is fine... put a Corbin on it if you like to spend hours on it though... the stock seat is nothing to write home about.
Yeah,real nice bike.Rich and i traded for a bit last summer.Very torquey,the Z one thou motor spools up real quick,and it turns very tight and predictable.Upright seating takes a bit of getting used to,but that's compared to the clip-ons on my duc that Rich didn't like.If i were looking for a Z1 thou,i would buy his in a heartbeat,he is very meticulous in his care of it!
bkamerer is offline   Reply With Quote