Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > General > Motorcycle Discussion > Proper oil for a cm400e?

Proper oil for a cm400e?

This is a discussion on Proper oil for a cm400e? within the Motorcycle Discussion forums, part of the General category; I have received numerous different recommendations as to what oil I should use. Have yet to get a consistent answer. ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2010   #1

Default Proper oil for a cm400e?

I have received numerous different recommendations as to what oil I should use. Have yet to get a consistent answer. Last oil change, about a year or so ago i went with the previous owners recommendation of castrol sae 10w40, no serious issues occured...But since then i've had alot of other opinions on the matter. Bike has 7700 miles on it, clutch makes some clanks here and there and sticks in neutral from time to time but has yet to slip on me.

Thanks.
John
Beecher808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010   #2

Personnaly I use Shell Rotella T 15W40 which is designed for heavy duty and high pressure (such as diesel engines) without the energy saving additives that would make your clutch slipping. It is available in large containers at Wallmart and similar stores. There is no use to pay extra for motorcycle-specific oil or even synthetic oil on a CM400, but changing the oil and filter regularly is the most important and least expensive preventive maintenance for your bike. I drive a CM400T 1980.
Old 09-27-2010   #3

Rotella it is then.
Beecher808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #4

Default Best oil too use

castrol , mobile1, amsoil, redline oil, there all good oil money talks. thats the onlyDiff in these oils use a syn type
harley mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011   #5

I believe you are correct oil flow around the filter. I do not expect any damage, this case will lead to back, it has been or soon after, waste oil, and then ride a little not a big deal.
rowanatkinson97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011   #6

I just join in,The future Exchange
adeline29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011   #7

Automobile oil these days is usually 5w-20 or 10w-30, besides being way to low a viscosity for a motorcycle engine they contain friction modifiers which sometimes can cause the clutch to slip. Even 10w-40 oils have a friction reduction package. Look for the "Energy Saving" seal on the bottle. If you see this isn't not for your motorcycle. Shell Rotella or Chevron Delo both are intended for diesel engines and don't have friction modifiers and are a good low cost choice for engines that specify a 10w-40 oil.

An aside here, even the oil manufactures are advising against using their automotive products in motorcycles at this point, I have stopped my practice of using Castrol 20w-50 and started using Amsoil motorcycle oil. Yes - it costs more. Is it worth the extra cost? Can't say it is, I haven't noticed any difference.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013   #8

Default Motorcycle Engine Oil

By the way Shell Rotella T 15w40 and Rotella 6 5w40 are BOTH JASO certified, so they are safe for wet clutch and any motorcycle engine component.

Shell RotellaT is about three or four times less expensive than OEM brand oils... why waste money on OEM oil and even synthetic when frequent oil changes are preferable in most cases ?

The key is the JASO certification, everything else is flashy marketing or religious faith...
Old 03-09-2014   #9

Default never ends

you can read and debate oil forever. I have spent hundreds of hours reading about oil. I now believe what consumers report wrote. All oils today are good, buy what is on sale. Use the weight the manufacture recommends. in your case 10-40. although I run 10-30 in my motorcycles to save a mile per gallon and Michigan only has 3 warm months.
sdanville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014   #10

Default the endless oil question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdanville View Post
you can read and debate oil forever. I have spent hundreds of hours reading about oil. I now believe what consumers report wrote. All oils today are good, buy what is on sale. Use the weight the manufacture recommends. in your case 10-40. although I run 10-30 in my motorcycles to save a mile per gallon and Michigan only has 3 warm months.
If you spent that many hours searching, you must know about the specifications for wet clutch on a motorcycle. Energy saving additives for automobiles are NOT compatible with wet clutches and will make them slip sooner or later. The little gas you may have saved will cost you a bundle on repair cost.

So saying "all oils today are good" is not true by any means, regardless of the price.