Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Riding Side By Side

This is a discussion on Riding Side By Side within the Motorcycle Discussion forums, part of the General category; I'm thinking of doing one of these "charity rides" (for lack of a better word). I think they put you ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2006   #1

Default Riding Side By Side

I'm thinking of doing one of these "charity rides" (for lack of a better word). I think they put you side by side with another rider. I'm a little nervous about that. I've been riding all my life (longer than most of you have been alive), but I've never done this. I picture it being a bit hairy. I mean, the lane is only so wide, and there's going to be a long chain of riders two-by-two. Is it difficult? Any tips on how to handle it?

Thx

mark
Brent S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006   #2

I personally don't like it, unfortunately for me one of the few friends I have that rides strongly prefers it so I do it sometimes. It's not so bad when you get used to it, but despite having ridden for 11 years, the first couple times I did it, it was nerve racking.
allarmyallthetyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006   #3

Generally group riding is done staggered, especially if the riders don't know the experience level of the other riders in the group.

I would think any responsible group organizer would know this and follow the staggered rule just to make sure everyone will be safe.
mixes909s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006   #4

It is illegal in VA and is considered reckless driving as per VA code ยง 46.2-857. Driving two abreast in a single lane (http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+46.2-857).

Even if it were legal, I would prefer the staggered group rider positions myself. More room for each rider.

Not sure where you live, but you'd probably want to check your state code for similar. Absent the restriction, then it is assumed legal.
Christopher45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006   #5

I'll only ride side beside with two other guys that I know. I have ridden staggered (I think I've walked that way once or twice, too) with a 1 or 2 second distance seperation, but don't do it much.
KassKass45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006   #6

I ride group rides all the time where we use the staggered formation, this is the safest , you just have to be aware of what you and the rider in front of you is doing.
I ridden several parades and at times talking to budz in a side by side formation and its no big deal ... as long as you can ride a straight line. If you are one of those riders that weave and wobble all over your lane this may not be good for you. When the other rider is by your side you know exactly where they are and you have to be .... no problem

just relax and be aware

Rat
Rose L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006   #7

When my son and I ride together we usually do this. On long straights or fairly straight roads we ride side by side. As we come to corners or twisties the rider on the right (nearest the shoulder) will drop back a little to put us in a stagger formation. True, we can do this only because we know what to expect and what is expected by the other rider. Works out good for us. Get the companionship of side by side on the straights and the comfort of stagger thru the turns.
Prajesh P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006   #8

I'll only ride in staggered or single file formation. I have people I trust to ride next to....but stuff happens sometimes that riders can't control....imo....side by side is semi-suicidal....now if its low speed parade riding....I'd be okay with it IF I was comfortable with the other riders.....& like Rat said....could ride a straight line.....just sayin'....
raishaude s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006   #9

I'm with Chain dad, are you sure it's not slightly staggered?

Lately I've ridden side by side w/my husband (not staggered) for brief intervals when deemed safe, to check on his passenger (our son) that hsi helmet is still ON <grr>or to say HI and make sure he is snug and secure in his Captains Chair.
bobgolfsbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006   #10

I prefer a 3 second cushion on the open road but like my brother Gumby said....most use a 2 or more commonly one second gap. I think it's cool that you run up & check on your little buddy....lol....sometimes a person has to run up next to a friend just to get their attention for a second....especially some of the space cadets I ride with....just sayin'....:D
gridgelawncare is offline   Reply With Quote