Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > General > Motorcycle Discussion > Your Best Chrome Cleaning Tips

Your Best Chrome Cleaning Tips

This is a discussion on Your Best Chrome Cleaning Tips within the Motorcycle Discussion forums, part of the General category; I'm curious what techniques or products has everyone used to clean chrome? My bike has a stain on the pipe ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2006   #1

Default Your Best Chrome Cleaning Tips

I'm curious what techniques or products has everyone used to clean chrome?

My bike has a stain on the pipe where it looks like something touched it and was burned on...
ezachowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006   #2

I've been seeing a lot of posts where people are using Easy Off oven cleaner on chrome. Haven't tried it, but I bet it works.
Latasha B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006   #3

Interesting...makes sense though.
Old 08-13-2006   #4

Really fine steel wool is amazing stuff, I'd give that a try. It should say on the package what materials it won't scratch up. I think I have 000, but I'm not really sure.

Just remember to clean it first, because the steel wool won't scratch the chrome, but dirt sure will.
FZR1000 Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006   #5

I would like to know that myself since I just sent out my factory rims to be chromed. I would think any good chrome polish/wax would take care of that. have you tried that?
weirdredhead92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006   #6
lip

I'm told that rubbing compound will do the trick as well.
lip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006   #7

i've been doing some chrome cleaning with very fine steel wool and the automotive hand cleaner..not the orange stuff but the cheaper white stuff.
do it reallylightly with alot of strokes. been working for me
bigtalente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006   #8

i've been doing some chrome cleaning with very fine steel wool and the automotive hand cleaner..not the orange stuff but the cheaper white stuff.
do it reallylightly with alot of strokes. been working for me

Makes sense as I don't want to scratch the chrome so using fine steel wool would be a good idea. Maybe, I'll combine two of the answers I got and use easy off with fine wool :D

Thanks for the tips (I'll let you know how it goes).
Old 08-17-2006   #9

My pipes are dulled from the previous owner using steel wool repeated over several years. It can have an effect over the long term (we are talking 6 years in this case). I've heard the oven cleaner will remove boot and anything else but haven't personally tried. I'm sure either method will be fine if your gentle and do not repeatedly clean it in that way. I use a chrome polish called white diamonds which works well for regular cleaning and polishing. Doesn't seem to have any ill effects and the bike looks great. No faint scratches anywhere. Won't take off boot but it will take care of rust, bluing and such. Works great on aluminum as well. I hear great testimonials for the mothers polishing ball to make rims easier to clean and polish. Gonna pick one of those up shortly.
himson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006   #10

http://www.nevrdull.com/ I used this on a set of chrome wheels I had on my old camaro, this stuff works well for rust, after you use it wash the chrome well and use a polish
hlo10786 is offline   Reply With Quote