Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > General > Off Topic > Good deal? Bad deal?

Good deal? Bad deal?

This is a discussion on Good deal? Bad deal? within the Off Topic forums, part of the General category; Hi all, New to this forum and looking to buy my first motorcycle. I've been looking for something to drive ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2012   #1

Question Good deal? Bad deal?

Hi all,

New to this forum and looking to buy my first motorcycle. I've been looking for something to drive about 10 blocks to class in south dakota. I know there isn't a long riding season but I've come across a 1978 Hondamatic Hawk 400. It looks to be in excellent condition and the seller says it starts right up and runs great. There are no cosmetic issues except for a minor dent in the tank. I haven't seen it in person but it seems to be a decent deal. I offered the guy 500 cash but he didn't post the mileage or anything else really than what I've already stated. From what I've posted, does that sound like a good deal? How many miles is too many miles just in case he ends up telling me a rather high number? I'm very well versed in the car world but am new to motorcycles. Does it have the potential to be a maintenance nightmare? Are there anythings I should test or look for when I see it in person? Any advice would be appreciated. Honestly, for 500 bucks I don't really know if I can go that wrong but hit me up with your opinions anyway. Thanks in advance for the response.

Neil
Neil17508253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012   #2

I would inquire about the charging system. This is a problem that is easily disguised and the new owner discovers after riding it for some time. A lot of shysters will set the idle high or leave the choke partially on to hide idle circuit issues. This applies pretty much to all carburated bikes.
recycledcycles is offline   Reply With Quote