Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Helmet laws

This is a discussion on Helmet laws within the Off Topic forums, part of the General category; Are there helmet laws where you are? I live in Winnipeg, Canada and there is one here. But there are ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2007   #1

Default Helmet laws

Are there helmet laws where you are? I live in Winnipeg, Canada and there is one here. But there are certain circumstances for riders that they do not have to wear them. Is this the case in all places that have helmet legislation? LMK where you are, and the laws for motorcycle riders.
Old 05-27-2007   #2
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to budlight Send a message via Skype™ to budlight

I'm not sure it has changed very recently but in Texas I believe you have to have a helmet unless you are 20.5 (why 20.5 I don't know?!) and have full coverage insurance. A few years ago I was at a dealership in Louisiana picking up a bike for transfer and they had like 300+ helmets they had just ordered as apparently the state had passed a helmet law that was just about to come into effect. I think most of the states have helmet laws, and the general trend seems to be to add them.
budlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007   #3
Administrator

What conditions do riders not have to wear a helmet in where you are from? Do the laws vary by province or what?
Old 05-27-2007   #4

I know of one guy who said the helmet was too heavy for his neck, which is a bunch of B.S. Helmets are fibreglass, are'nt they? He just does not want to wear one. + he is involved in a gang, and other stuff. as for other provinces, I don'y know. but they all have helmet laws. I was in grand forks during our long weekend, some wore helmets and some did not. i don't know if G.F has a law or not....I think certain medical conditions can be an exemption for not wearin a helmet. But that sounds dumb, helmets are used for a reason. But 2 year ago i saw guy get killed on a bike. he was wearing a helmet, but it was his fault. He had a bit of road rae, and used exessive speed. I was a wittness to the accident, so were others, and the info was all the same. It was the bikers fault.
Old 05-27-2007   #5
Administrator

Most people who complain about helmets here get novelty helmets which aren't certified by the Department of transportation nor the Snell memorial foundation. These helmets normally amount to basically a plastic shell. I think some people use them as a way to avoid being pulled over? They're really more popular with people riding cruisers or custom bikes such as choppers (which don't really get ridden anyway so not a big deal).
Old 05-28-2007   #6

what would happen if the biker got pulled over, and....can a cop issue a ticket for an illegal helmet.
Old 05-30-2007   #7

In Oregon there's been, as long as I can remember, a helmet law for on road use. We also require daytime running lights. I got a ticket once for not having a DOT approved helmet, so yes they're pretty strict.

Back in '72, when I got my driver's license, there was no motorcycle safety courses either. Just a short test to see if you knew how to ride a bike around some cones, do a quick stop and u-turn.

After taking the written section, the driving section test was,.. "gee, is this all there is?"
The Lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007   #8

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiroKawa View Post
Are there helmet laws where you are? I live in Winnipeg, Canada and there is one here. But there are certain circumstances for riders that they do not have to wear them. Is this the case in all places that have helmet legislation? LMK where you are, and the laws for motorcycle riders.

In Asia, we have a helmet law for on road use.
But we do not care about the material if it's okay for riders.

We wear it just for police check.
Sometimes, the weather is too hot.
Teamworld is offer well-known branded names (i.e. BANDO, DID, NGK, YUASA) and accessories,Supply OEM motorcycle/scooter manufacturers such as Aprilia, Cagiva, Malaguti, Minarelli, Moto Guzzi, Kawasaki,and have Asiawide sourcing capabilities/production facilities.
Miomas0v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007   #9

Send a message via AIM to skinnyb78
Default TX helmet law

Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
I'm not sure it has changed very recently but in Texas I believe you have to have a helmet unless you are 20.5 (why 20.5 I don't know?!) and have full coverage insurance. A few years ago I was at a dealership in Louisiana picking up a bike for transfer and they had like 300+ helmets they had just ordered as apparently the state had passed a helmet law that was just about to come into effect. I think most of the states have helmet laws, and the general trend seems to be to add them.
AMA site for Texas:

"Required by law under age 21. Over age 21, riders are not required to wear a helmet with proof of successful completion of rider training or $10,000 of medical insurance covering injuries resulting from a motorcycle accident". There is a way to mail in a statement requesting a no-helmet stick that you place on your license plate. Then you don't have to worry about being pulled over just for a helmet check. This rule is not the same for a passenger.
skinnyb78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007   #10

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnyb78 View Post
AMA site for Texas:

"Required by law under age 21. Over age 21, riders are not required to wear a helmet with proof of successful completion of rider training or $10,000 of medical insurance covering injuries resulting from a motorcycle accident". There is a way to mail in a statement requesting a no-helmet stick that you place on your license plate. Then you don't have to worry about being pulled over just for a helmet check. This rule is not the same for a passenger.

Helmets are required for all ages riders in Taiwan.
If you against the traffic regulations, you'll be fined NT$600. (ABOUT US$20).

Miss Mio
Teamworld is offer well-known branded names (i.e. BANDO, DID, NGK, YUASA) and accessories,Supply OEM motorcycle/scooter manufacturers such as Aprilia, Cagiva, Malaguti, Minarelli, Moto Guzzi, Kawasaki,and have Asiawide sourcing capabilities/production facilities.
Miomas0v is offline   Reply With Quote