Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Manufacturers > BMW > Flat tire question

Flat tire question

This is a discussion on Flat tire question within the BMW forums, part of the Manufacturers category; Yesterday I noticed my front tire was flat. Despite spending an hour going over every sqare centimeter I couldn't find ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2009   #1

Default Flat tire question

Yesterday I noticed my front tire was flat. Despite spending an hour going over every sqare centimeter I couldn't find anything to cause it or any apparent hole.

I filled the tire at a gas station and road home and 24 hours later the tire is still rock solid.

Is there any chance I hit a bump hard enough (and perhaps the tire wasn't fully inflated at the time) that I broke the bead and the air leaked out?

N
VeloRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009   #2

could be the cold air (if the air is cold where you are).
Old 01-23-2009   #3

Not cold here at all mate...though thanks for the suggestion. I checked the rear this morning at it had dropped to 23psi so I'm guessing that was it.

I pumped them both up this morning and everything has been fine.
Old 01-23-2009   #4

How old are your valve stems. the reason I ask is that when you refilled your tire this is the only thing you changed besides the air in the tires.Maybe you lost seat on the valve stem.This might sound silly but on my Beemer they require sealable caps.
ryokoware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009   #5

Baja...not sure but I haven't had the problem again so my guess it was just my not checking the air pressure and letting them get too low.

According to a mechanic mate it is an issue with tubeless tires if you don't keep them properly inflated.

N
Old 01-23-2009   #6

You give no bike info. So let me just throw this out. A friend of mine bought a Beemer 'airhead', with spoked rims and was running them tubeless. This was how the PO had it set up. He had similar troubles. Turned in a Walmart parking lot and it went flat. I'd take a good look at the inside rim edges where the tire beads seat; as well as the valve stem and core as Baja said.
Old 03-24-2011   #7

If you consistently get unknown punctures in the same spot it is probable that your rim tape is worn and needs replacing..Check out for valve stem may it is leak in it from dirt inside the valve. Also sometimes valve stem may get cracks in it because of wear and tear.
john12121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloRider View Post
Yesterday I noticed my front tire was flat. Despite spending an hour going over every sqare centimeter I couldn't find anything to cause it or any apparent hole.

I filled the tire at a gas station and road home and 24 hours later the tire is still rock solid.

Is there any chance I hit a bump hard enough (and perhaps the tire wasn't fully inflated at the time) that I broke the bead and the air leaked out?

N
I have had that happen too. It's most likely the valve stem is beginning to leak. When you filled the tire you reseated the valve steam and now it's air tight. As evil spirit proofing I would replace the valve steam. These are available at most car parts stores like Pep Boys or Kragen/O'Riley. If you hit a bump or pothole so hard the tire bead was dislodged there would likely be a nasty dent in the rim.

- John
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012   #9

I am looking for the tires which should be comfortable in rain as well. This is why because I live at the top of hills so after rain the road become slippery .
Any special tires which are specially design for the rain purpose. Please paste here that link. Really encourage you.

Last edited by flake50; 12-22-2012 at 07:38 AM.
flake50 is offline   Reply With Quote