Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

K100rs Tires

This is a discussion on K100rs Tires within the BMW forums, part of the Manufacturers category; '88 K100rs, recently purchased. Has bias-ply AVON tires. I find the bike slipping even in moderate corners over the paint ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2009   #1

Default K100rs Tires

'88 K100rs, recently purchased. Has bias-ply AVON tires. I find the bike slipping even in moderate corners over the paint strips where my previous bikes never would.

This is by far the heaviest bike I have ever owned, but I almost dropped the thing today going less than 20mph in a left turn when it slipped, again. (and not just the same corner, it happens everywhere I have ridden so far) and that was one time too many for me. The guy I was riding with took the corner much faster with no problem whatsoever (Buell X1). So I am blaming the tires.

Never knew they made bias-ply tires for bikes, is that common? What is a good tire for more sport and less touring (but also budget-friendly, still in college), or might I have purchased the wrong motorcycle altogether? (previous owner of Buell Blast and Ducati Monster 900)

Any suggestions?
ryokoware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009   #2

Default K100rs Tires

Are the tires new? New tires often have 'mold release' agent on them and are slicker than snot. I know one guy that uses 80 grit on an orbital sander to get the snot off. I've just taken it slow making circles on a parking lot to get them scuffed it - just be steady and gentle. I wouldn't think a radial vs bias would be the culprit.
mikie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009   #3

Default K100rs Tires

tires are not new, turns out they were rather old, did not notice they were cracking at the rim on the sidewall. so i think hard rubber was the problem

...and is that what people mean when they say they 'scrubbed in' their tires?
ryokoware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009   #4

Default K100rs Tires

you "scrub" in a tire by running it around corners, most new tires come with a "grease" on them, to preserve them from cracking before they get sold, to "scrub" in your tires you just do like Gumby said, slowly make a lot of turns and weaving in a parking lot, I say slowly because they are slick until this crap comes off, I would think you could also get a good degreaser and clean the tires (but this may only compound the problem, I am not real sure on that one)

*edit* oops, I just re-read you question, yes that is what they mean when they say they "scrubbed in" their tires :o
mikie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009   #5

Default K100rs Tires

Wowzers! Yep...I lowsided a Kaw on old, hard, dried out tires once. Are you going back on with Avons?
VeloRider is offline   Reply With Quote