Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Manufacturers > BMW > Not sure about a R1100S

Not sure about a R1100S

This is a discussion on Not sure about a R1100S within the BMW forums, part of the Manufacturers category; Beautiful bike. 1999 R1100S ABS with tons on top of the line accessories. Corbin seat, Olin Shocks, back rest, chromed ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2009   #1

Default Not sure about a R1100S

Beautiful bike. 1999 R1100S ABS with tons on top of the line accessories. Corbin seat, Olin Shocks, back rest, chromed rims, side and tank bags, and a whole bunch of other stuff; Only has 16,000 miles. Black and chrome makes it look real nice. Owner spent $thousands on accessories. Perfect condition. Worth $8250?

My other choice is a stock 2006 Honda ST1300 for around $10,000. Nice too.
ryokoware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009   #2

Maybe I asking the wrong question. Lets try: Is there any way a 1999 R1100S is worth $8250?
Old 01-23-2009   #3

That bike books for $6665 (retail) on Kelley Blue Book. That's assuming fully reconditioned and in excellent condition. Since it's classed as a touring bike, they are counting the bags in with that price. Any other accessories that are included you'd have to add on yourself. KBB has a page to assist in valuing these items, but I believe their prices are quite low, especially for BMW add-ons.

The accessories are only worth as much as you value them. In other words, if a bike has a $3000 custom paint job...that's all well and good if you like it that much. However, if it doesn't really matter to you one way or the other, then it's not "worth" $3000 to you. The same goes with any accessory.

According to KBB, they list the "Expected Accumulated Average Mileage" for that bike as 43,100 miles. They also explain that "Overall condition factors will have a far greater impact on a value than the actual mileage."

Tim
mikie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009   #4

Thanks for the reply. I did the blue book value research with both KBB and NADA. But I'm waffleing on this one...the owner insist that it's worth $10,000+ with all the accessories and feels that I'm stealing it from him at $8250. I just wanted someone with BMW knowledge reply and say..."yea, awesome deal". But the lack of response here, one way or the other, tells me I'm on my own. The problem may be I'm too use to J-bikes and cannot appreciate the value BMW's have.
Old 01-23-2009   #5

I just wanted someone with BMW knowledge reply and say..."yea, awesome deal".

Well heck, if that's all you wanted...Yeah, awesome deal!!!

Seriously...the value of anything is so subjective. So the seller is certain it's worth $10,000, eh? If it were true, I expect he wouldn't have to come down so far in his asking price, and he still seems to be having trouble moving it. Again...all the accessories he's touting are only valuable if they have value to the buyer. Don't let the seller tell you how much value his accessories have, it's up to you. At best, I only ascribe a value of 50% of retail to accessories. So those $500 engine covers? They're worth $250 to me, at best...if I really like them and would want to buy them anyway. If I'm only somewhat interested in them, I start to discount the value from there, and the discount becomes greater also for condition issues, of course.

Have you perused the used ads, such as Cycletrader/Ebay/this forum? I like to buy guns and the like, and I've noticed that lots of stuff has been getting sold for really good prices. I think people are starting to need cash for other, more "important" bills, such as mortgages, etc. I expect this may also reflect in vehicle prices. Also, location and time of year plays into it. You don't say where you're located, but in many parts of this country riding season is about to end. This is the time of year when bike prices fall, and then they rise a bit in the spring and early summer.

By and large, BMW bikes depreciate faster than most other bikes, at least in my experience. Perhaps this is partially a factor of their high initial cost. I'd say his asking price is a tad high, especially for this time of year. If you absolutely love it, you figure you're going to ride it until it drops, and you don't see any others like it for any better prices...then maybe it really is worth that much. In which case, buy it and enjoy it!

Good luck!
Tim
mikie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009   #6

Well Tim...thanks for the perspective. I live in Honolulu, HI. We (me and the seller) did things kinda backwards. We agreed on a price first (before seeing the bike) because the bike is on Maui. Now I need to go and see the bike and if I like it I'll buy it for the agreed upon price. Thanks for the replies.
Old 01-23-2009   #7

Hi friends,

I just baught a 2004 R1100S done only 4500 miles and it cost me 6300$ its in great condition no scratches or never dropped.
Just wanted to know if its a good deal or not????

thanks.
VeloRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009   #8

good deal
Old 01-23-2009   #9

yeah