Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Manufacturers > BMW > Pros & cons of ABS and linked braking systems

Pros & cons of ABS and linked braking systems

This is a discussion on Pros & cons of ABS and linked braking systems within the BMW forums, part of the Manufacturers category; I layed my Yamaha RSV down after I locked up the rear brake in an emergency situation. I am curious ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2009   #1

Default Pros & cons of ABS and linked braking systems

I layed my Yamaha RSV down after I locked up the rear brake in an emergency situation.

I am curious to know what you have experienced with the ABS and linked braking systems (either with ABS or without) on other bikes that you have driven (since the RSV does not have linked or ABS brakes)
VeloRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009   #2

I have ABS on my R1100S and they've kept both wheels gripping pavement multiple times. Driving around in town, it's not uncommon for drivers who are a bit careless to pull out in front of motorcycles without noticing their presence. My bike is over 500 pounds, and without ABS, I'm pretty sure I would've lost it or had to lay it down. However, the ABS on my bike hasn't failed me yet, and when I need to really clamp down on the binders, it keeps the wheels from locking up and losing traction. It's definitely worthwhile to pay a little extra for a bike with ABS. It cost more initially, but what it can save you in terms of riding gear and hospital bills definitely makes up for the cost.
mikie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009   #3

Less than 10 yrs on a bike--get ABS. it stands a 90% chance on saving your life.
I, myself will not own one but I have been riding since 1948 and will get off my brakes at the first sign of slippage. I dont need the computer, plus me trying to control things but I insisted on my grandson getting it.
ryokoware is offline   Reply With Quote