Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Manufacturers > BMW > R1200C Battery Issues: Charging and Access

R1200C Battery Issues: Charging and Access

This is a discussion on R1200C Battery Issues: Charging and Access within the BMW forums, part of the Manufacturers category; All, I have had multiple problems with my 1998 R1200C holding a charge. Last time I had the battery replaced ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2009   #1

Default R1200C Battery Issues: Charging and Access

All,

I have had multiple problems with my 1998 R1200C holding a charge. Last time I had the battery replaced and was advised that it was defective (last spring).

For the last 6 months I have ridden it regularly with no issues. About 3 weeks ago, it sat without riding for about 2 weeks. In that 2 week period, I started it twice and let it idle for about 20-30 minutes. The third time I tried to start it on a cool day (about 45 degrees) to actually get out for a ride, it would not turn over.

The real problem is that I then hooked up my Battery Tender Jr for a charge (12 v, about 1.5amps), and the battery will not take the charge. The charger acts like it it not even connected: the red light blinks just as it does when the charger is plugged in and not connected to anything. This is the same indication I had with the defective battery I had replaced in the Spring.

Sooo... I figure either (a) I have another bad battery, or (b) the extension to charge the battery is not properly hooked up to the battery itself, or (c) my Battery Tender is screwed up.

I am not familiar with how to access the battery in the bike to check the charger cable connection (believe you have to pull off the gas tank, which I am resistant to do without some instruction).

Any advice on the battery, the charging process, or accessing the battery would be helpful

Thanks for all
VeloRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009   #2

Default R1200C Battery Issues: Charging and Access

Here's the battery:
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Where_is_t...CLC_motorcycle

I suspect that there is some kind of draw on the battery for it to go down just sitting there for such a short time. Once you get a 'good' battery hooked up you can check that with a multimeter. You'll prolly have some minor draw for electric clock, etc.

Most of the battery tender remote wirings have a fuse in them. Prolly had the fuse go out. Trace it back and you'll find the fuse.

Pull the battery, give it a good slow charge and then take it in for testing. That's about all you can do for a sealed battery.
VeloRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009   #3

Guess what's sitting in my garage? My '06 BMW R-1200RT with a dead battery. I will replace it this weekend - but here's the deal, BMW is using a poorly constructed battery in these bikes; Going back the battery in it's predecessor a R-1100R was always a weak sister, slow cranking and on that bike the ABS would come up with an error right after a cold start. Alternator fine. Battery load test would show 8 volts when under a load. Just barely passing. I replaced it with another BMW by Excide battery - it was better but also a weak performer. After 6 months all the issues returned. A trip to the dealer and warranty replacement - same issue. I fineally grafted an Interstate brand UPS battery into the bike and WOW! Fast cranking, voltage stays at 11 volts when tested and the ABS never came up in fault mode.
Much batter - that battery worked until I upgraded the entire motorcycle. Now I am back to the same old crap with the new bike. The motorcycle is still under warranty -so I will replace the battery with the official BMW battery. But once the warranty os out I will try to find a suitable AGM

So, I would assume that the battery is the issue.
John is offline   Reply With Quote