Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Manufacturers > Buell > 2000 Buell M2 Cyclone engine heat? I'ts really hot!?

2000 Buell M2 Cyclone engine heat? I'ts really hot!?

This is a discussion on 2000 Buell M2 Cyclone engine heat? I'ts really hot!? within the Buell forums, part of the Manufacturers category; Any idea how hot is too hot? I have a Sportster that doesn't get nearly as hot as this bike. ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2008   #1

Default 2000 Buell M2 Cyclone engine heat? I'ts really hot!?

Any idea how hot is too hot? I have a Sportster that doesn't get nearly as hot as this bike. You can actually smell the heat at the cylinder area. Is this normal? If not, what could the cause be?Thanks
noTunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008   #2

Jap Air cooled Four strokes can in some cases run safely at 280 degrees F but I don't know much about Harley Davidson metalurgy. If you can find out the quality of the metal used in production and the bearing clearance is tighter than .004"then I wouldn't worrie about it, you can allways install an after market oil cooler with a high volume and fan.
Super Cleat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009   #3

When you power wash the engine, does it smell similar to what you are discribing? Hope you aren't doing a load of stop and go in city traffic either. Check air flow through the fairing for restrictions. Use Castol Syn. oil which will help drop the temp. When was the last time you changed the element in the air-box, if it is fighting circulation that adds to the problem. Have you installed an thermostatic control oil cooler, you may also try that.Check the'shop manual'for other possible causes.My Iron Head runs hot, be that's just part of the beast. Haven't had any problem with my'00 X-1 Limited Edition Lighting yet, runs like a raped ape AND the kids on crotch-rockets want no part of me. Good luck. ------
LifeRyder is offline   Reply With Quote