Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Manufacturers > Harley Davidson > The Sportster and Highway Travel

The Sportster and Highway Travel

This is a discussion on The Sportster and Highway Travel within the Harley Davidson forums, part of the Manufacturers category; I was chatting with the sales manager at my local Harley dealer the other night and he was asking about ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2007   #1

Default The Sportster and Highway Travel

I was chatting with the sales manager at my local Harley dealer the other night and he was asking about the Sporty I purchased. I told him I ride it on the interstate daily back and forth to work,about 53 miles each way, and he asked if I got blown around by all the trucks.

"Not at all" I answered. "That Roadster sticks to the road like glue and rides like a dream." He didn't seem to believe that, but it's true. I think the Sporty really shines at highway speeds and is a very nimble but stable platform. I've owned quicker bikes, but nothing that feels as solid at speed.

Anyone had any kind of trouble with interstate driving on the Sportster compared to other bikes?
ryokoware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007   #2

If it's something like I40 where the trucks are going 75-80 and the windshield is on I get bounced around a bit but not bad. Beyond this I did a ride of almost 2,400 miles with my R model and it was flawless.
shawn p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007   #3

I think they are very stable. I find the larger the bike in surface area like one with a large windshild is the worst.
pastranarocks199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007   #4

Heck, I get bounced around on a Fatboy with windshield and soft bags if I'm behind a truck.

I don't hink I've found a bike yet that doesn't.
pastranarocks199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007   #5

Heck, I get bounced around on a Fatboy with windshield and soft bags if I'm behind a truck.

I don't hink I've found a bike yet that doesn't.

In the tuck my FZ6 is much more stable behind those trucks moving at 75-80 and it's almost 180 pounds lighter. The disc wheels of the Fatboy can be an issue too if you are in high crosswinds like those of the plains states.
Old 06-09-2007   #6

I have a 2006 Sportster and I ride 50 miles (one way) to work on 4 lane highways. No problems here. I think she handles great. The part that I hate is when the road is torn up from road construction. That's a rough ride!
Old 06-09-2007   #7

I have a 2006 Sportster and I ride 50 miles (one way) to work on 4 lane highways. No problems here. I think she handles great. The part that I hate is when the road is torn up from road construction. That's a rough ride!

Yeah and especially if you have a 21" front tire.
Old 06-10-2007   #8

From past experience with 5x 1000cc Cast-Iron Sportsters I'm saying these are surprisingly nice bikes to travel on, including that on that of the Highway. Seriously a small, tallish bike with a huge engine (sort of like a Shelby Cobra with a 427 in it?!). :D Mind you I was a smallish guy back then too: 5' 9-1/2" at 150 pounds - single and just a happy go lucky lad out enjoying the world (especially the 'Nevada Trail', wink!)! Fantastic Gas Mileage I'm saying on these old Sporties at about 48-50 mpg running at 'highway speeds' back then (65 during the 55 National Double Nickel)! Only limitation was the ridiculous 2.1 Peanut tanks they put on these damn things. The current 1200's (?) 4.8 would be so much more welcome! Yikes? Almost a 300 mile range?! Cool! :D

LRG
Old 06-11-2007   #9

Almost a 300 mile range?!

The range actually is closer to 200, since you can only get just over 4 gallons into the 4.5 gallon tank when sitting on the stand. I always fill up around 150 miles at the most. I just want to be extra-sure I don't end up pushing the bike to a gas station!
Old 06-11-2007   #10

Ah! But you see that's the trick! I'm saying with later 'Screw-Type' Gas Cap Harleys (these are seriously sealed to meet Emission Standards) OR really ANY modern bike, if you straddle the bike upright (while sitting on it) while filling the tank, you can safely top these up and add a few 10th's (or sometimes a LOT more - yikes, my Vic holds 6 gallons when upright!) of a gallon to your range. You sure couldn't do that with the old Turret (Vented) caps - they leaked to high heaven! Nuff' said.

LRG

The range actually is closer to 200, since you can only get just over 4 gallons into the 4.5 gallon tank when sitting on the stand. I always fill up around 150 miles at the most. I just want to be extra-sure I don't end up pushing the bike to a gas station!