Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Manufacturers > Harley Davidson > What's the difference between a biker and a Harley rider?

What's the difference between a biker and a Harley rider?

This is a discussion on What's the difference between a biker and a Harley rider? within the Harley Davidson forums, part of the Manufacturers category; Well gentlemen I've been riding for 26 years now (Harleys only) and I have heard this question asked a lot ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2009   #1

Default What's the difference between a biker and a Harley rider?

Well gentlemen I've been riding for 26 years now (Harleys only) and I have heard this question asked a lot over the years. I didn't consider myself to be a Biker until I had earned my center patch. Up till then I was a Harley rider.Bear, take a deep breath and try to calm down. Jumping to conclusions is hard work.
Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009   #2

A motorcycle is just a motorcycle. It's what you do with it, where and who you ride with and how you ride. Just because you have an HD doesn't instantly make you a "biker". Interesting thing: "Bikers" usually aren't found out on the open road-this is more of an urban phenominon-this attitude seems to swirl around beer, bars and pool-and yes, the "bikers" did go to the bar on a Harley. It's a fashon statement-thing is the vast majority of Harley Davidson owners when they ride this is the only riding they do. It's interesting to see that most "bikers" are more like truckers when they go to events like Sturgus - they don't ride there, they drive THEN put on the bad-ass 'tude and roar into town with their open pipes and act like idiots once the bike is unloaded from the pickup.

I really don't like the term "Biker" rather the Term "Motorcyclist" better fits the description of those who really ride be it on a HD, Victory, BMW or Yamaha ...it's not the brand - it's who's riding it that makes the distinction.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009   #3

Hey......
How about "motorcylce ENTHUUUUSIAST?"
StefkaRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010   #4

Interesting! I also ride a Harley (VRSCA) but don't consider myself a "Biker". In fact, I still muse over the black leather vest and 'colors' that these so called 'bikers' put on or lust over. I agree with John about the trucker in many a 'biker'. I have ridden bikes, mostly heavy weight touring or sport touring, for nearly 50 years. I never had a need to load and go - to anywhere! But I've passed or been passed by more than a few Harleys on piggy-back. I've always wondered what attracted these so called 'bikers' that won't travel on them, won't ride if it threatens rain, won't ride if it rained earlier, won't ride if..., but will go to the Harley dealer and spend thousands on clothing, boots, chaps, leathers, etc, as long as it has that blessed Harley emblem on it. It's not the clothes that makes a motorcycle enthusiast, its his or her desire and commitment to enjoying what the machine was built to do - RIDE! It doesn't take a black leather vest and colors to do that. Any wannabe rider who fancies himself a 'biker' doesn't become one simply by dressing like them and hanging with a spider or tear but may find out in short order why mainstream society doesn't cozy up to them. Which begs the question; In this great country, where all of us are free to become anything we want to be, why would anyone aspire to be one of 'them'?
Olds13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010   #5

Having said what I just did, I need to make it clear that most of those I referred to are not the 'Biker' that one's imagination congers up; one or two bikers riding along, minding their own business, looking as friendly as your typical Brown Recluse with their monkey bars, open pipes, bobbed hard tails, while wearing well worn jeans over dull and dirty Lineman's boots, black leather vests with years of oil and miles darkened colors that you have to squint to read (you know them, they're the ones who sit quietly by themselves at the bar, minding their own business, drinking their beer and eating the can..) and if they're in a helmet state, their lid looks like the wired skull cap that is perched atop 'Sparky' (the chair). And if they're not, their hair is either held in place by a nasty looking do-rag or bandana. These guys are the one's that motels wrote special rules for. They're the ones who breath, eat and sleep motorcycles. Those who can, will ride Harley's, the older the better. The high cotton guys may boast a Knuckle Head or Shovel Head and take pride in kick-starting their vintage Potaytah-Potaytah, turning the idle down so low you can almost count when the valves audibly click closed. Those, my friends are true "BIKERS" and have earned that title.
Olds13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010   #6

Thanks Olds13.

But I had to quit eating the cans. After 45 years of riding now (first "bike" at 10 - 4hp, two speed Sears minibike!) the cans still go down easy, but passing them hurts like hell.
Rte66Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010   #7

And yeah, I ride a HD, but it isn't WHAT you ride, it is THAT you ride.

I'd like to quote a dear friend here:

"The human condition is raw here, love, hate, fear, joy, grief, laughter, tears and most of all no one cares what you do or what you have or what you're worth. The only thing that matters is ........ do you ride........yes........then that's good enough." Shoganai
Rte66Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010   #8

The words "biker" and "motorcyclist" and "rider" only have as much meaning as we choose to give them, nothing more or less. I call my ride a bike, because that's what it is (sport bike). It's also a motorcycle (street motorcycle). And, of course, I ride it. So I'm a rider, a motorcyclist, and a biker.... nothing more or less than what I want to have that mean for me.
A Cycle Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Cycle Pro View Post
The words "biker" and "motorcyclist" and "rider" only have as much meaning as we choose to give them, nothing more or less. I call my ride a bike, because that's what it is (sport bike). It's also a motorcycle (street motorcycle). And, of course, I ride it. So I'm a rider, a motorcyclist, and a biker.... nothing more or less than what I want to have that mean for me.
Truer words have never been spoken!

[IMG]http://img.thefind.com/images/WgCrsWoP_8Xwi8FUjIUhLSe_PLWoOD4xLyU-PTOtpJgho6SkwEpfP7VArzIzN10vOT9XPzlR31O_MqO4RNfcyM zS2MTI3MDczMjYIN7I0Ngw3tDI3NLE3MLAmIEBAA**?m=1&g=1[/IMG]
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Truer words have never been spoken!
Thanks, John!
A Cycle Pro is offline   Reply With Quote