Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Manufacturers > Harley Davidson > Why does my 2002 Harley Lowrider need a new oil pump?

Why does my 2002 Harley Lowrider need a new oil pump?

This is a discussion on Why does my 2002 Harley Lowrider need a new oil pump? within the Harley Davidson forums, part of the Manufacturers category; I took my Harley into the shop because it developed a whining sound in the engine, and I thought what ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2008   #1

Default Why does my 2002 Harley Lowrider need a new oil pump?

I took my Harley into the shop because it developed a whining sound in the engine, and I thought what was a valve chatter had gotten louder as well. I have put almost 40000 miles on the bike and my warranty runs out next April. The dealer called me a couple of days ago and told me that the cam chain tensioners are the cause of the noise, which I was told might be the problem, and that they would have to be replaced as well as the oil pump. I didn't think to ask while I was on the phone, but why would the oil pump need to be replaced. That makes me think that it wasn't working right, which makes me wonder if any damage to the engine has occured because of lack of oil pressure. Does the oil pump have anything to do with the cam chain tensioners, or does it have to be replaced when replacing the tensioners? Or is the pump a totally unrelated problem which I need to ask more questions about?
DEJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008   #2

It's TOO low?.
Danny Dix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009   #3

I've just asked my husband to read your question and he said he is not sure what one has to do with the other, but feels that your oil pump should not have gone out at 40,000. He says, yes, it is best to ask more questions, but definitely get it replaced while it is still under warranty. You may also ask your dealer if this is a problem with this make and model year. A lot of times there are recalls on the bikes and the owner is not notified.Ride safe!!!
Debi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009   #4

I think the oil pump was upgraded - so that's why they want to replace it under warranty. The cam chain tensioner and oil pump are not related.

Le 'em fix you up.
John is offline   Reply With Quote