Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Manufacturers > Honda > 1982 Honda VF 750 S V45 Sabre experience & opinions

1982 Honda VF 750 S V45 Sabre experience & opinions

This is a discussion on 1982 Honda VF 750 S V45 Sabre experience & opinions within the Honda forums, part of the Manufacturers category; Howdy folks, Well, I finally did it. I bought my first bike. Now I would like to ask for any ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2006   #1

Default 1982 Honda VF 750 S V45 Sabre experience & opinions

Howdy folks,

Well, I finally did it. I bought my first bike. Now I would like to ask for any input about the bike I purchased. It is a 1982 Honda VF 750 S V45 Sabre with about 38000 miles. I looked the bike up on Bikez.com and it had consistently 90+/100 ratings in the areas that matter to me so I am o.k. with the age of the bike.

Any quirks I should know about?

What is the bikes strong suites?

Are there parts available that would allow me to customize the bike such as sissy bar, cruising pegs, luggage rack, windshield/fairing, etc., and what is the best source for these items? Also where can I find a manual for this bike?

Thanks,

Jim
Lennon K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006   #2

That was the first year of the v4,

Upper end oiling problems.
Check your fork brace for cracks(very important!)
Swing arm bushings(check for squeaks or excessive play)
v4hondabbs.com
Hunter3333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006   #3

Musclecar427,

How can a neophite deal with the oiling problem?

Thanks for the link. When I try to register an error message appears. I will try again tomorrow.

I was going ove the bike this evening and could not seem to get the horn to work nor were the signal lights blinking. Is the display supposed to be lit as well? Any suggestions?

I have a number of people who have offered to help me work on the bike when needed, one a former MC mechanic. If at all possible I would like to learn to work on the bike myself, with the help of friends, instead of taking it to the garage all the time. So if you or anyone else have any suggestions about the signals and horn I would certainly appreciate any and all advice. I will probably pose these questions seperatly in another post.

Thanks,

Jim
Old 05-10-2006   #4

Didn't see a response to this, and just joined .........

The 'oiling problem' manifests itself as 'pitting' on the camshaft lobes. The early bikes (82-83) are worse than the later ones; but essentially the problem was never 'fixed' by Honda. Step one for you will be the shop manual. Step two would be to pull the cam covers and inspect them camshaft lobes. At 38K miles any pitting will be pretty obvious.

There are numerous 'fixes' out there; but this problem is dependent upon manufacturing tolerances on your particular bike. I have 3 VF's in my stable. Two of them do not have a problem (I have a V65 Sabre with 155K miles, and no issues. My '83 VF750F - on the other hand - has had it's cams replaced 3 times in 65K miles).

The electrical stuff is probably just contact resistance in the connectors.

- ThruxRon
cdever5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006   #5

Howdy Folks,

Thanks for the replies. At present the bike is sitting in the garage. I have not been able to get it started. My neighbor, who has been wrenchin' and ridin' almost as long as I have been around, and that is quite some time, says that it is flooded pretty badly and is running way to rich. I need to pull the spark plugs and check them, maybe replace them, and add some carb cleaning liquid to the gas and maybe get the carbs looked at.

When I get the bike running again, what are the signs and symptoms that the "oiling problem" is beginning to manifest? Should I wait until symptoms show or should I go ahead and pull the cam covers and take a peak? Is this a relatively simple thing to do? As an acupuncturist I am good at working on people but unfortunately my abilities with people do not always translate to being a mechanic.

Thanks for your help.

Jim
Old 05-12-2006   #6

Jim,

First off, if the bike sat for a long while it is likely you will need to pull those carbs out, disassemble them, clean everything, and reassemble with new seals. This is a non-trivial job with these V-4's, as the carbs are tightly tucked in the 'Vee' - and it is very important to keep the bits separate when doing the disassembly. There are two 'side-draft' carbs and two 'down-draft' carbs.

Again, get a shop manual (Haynes or Clymers will work; but the factory service manual is best) and take your time. Having help when you pull the carbs and again when you reinstall is a must - at least the first time.

As far as the oiling problem, there won't be any 'outward' symptoms that can be detected from riding the bike. If the pitting gets bad enough, you'll get bits of metal in the oil; but if it gets that bad before it's noticed you'll have a major rebuild on your hands.

RELAX about the oiling problem. I have nearly 250K miles on my 3 V-4's. One of them has a problem; but when I had the engine rebuilt I had one of the 'fixes' installed. As I mentioned, the other two don't show any signs after a combined 190K miles.
skoliosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011   #7

Hi Lennon K, a very good source of info and helpfull people for your Sabre can be found at V4MuscleBike.com - Dedicated to the Yamaha Star VMAX, Honda Magna, Honda Sabre and Suzuki Madura power cruiser motorcycles.
There you will find service manuals available to you and experienced guys willing to advise you on all known problems. I also have a 1982 V45 Sabre that I've been slowly modifying to suit my own taste and have done the top end oil mod which will increase the supply of filtered oil to your camshafts plus improve oil supply to your gearbox bearings at the same time. I have also replaced the fan switch with a lower temperature unit that brings the fan on at 185deg instead of 205deg. This has made a big difference to running temp while in traffic. There is also a recommended mod to the 3 yellow wires running from the stator to the voltage regulator that commonly burn up over time.
Don't be dismayed though, all in all these are great bikes and I'm sure you're going to enjoy yours.
pcoumbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012   #8

With all of the dealerships to choose from in Austin, there is one that is particularly great. Howdy Honda is a dealership that can help you find the perfect Honda automobile for you. With a brand new Honda, you can get all around town without any issues because of how reliable it is. At Howdy Honda, you will get the best brand new Honda with all the best features on it. Go to Howdy Honda to locate an automobile for you.
insereanL is offline   Reply With Quote