Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Manufacturers > Honda > 1983 honda v45 magna rebuild project

1983 honda v45 magna rebuild project

This is a discussion on 1983 honda v45 magna rebuild project within the Honda forums, part of the Manufacturers category; just picked up a 1983 honda v45 magna. it's been sitting for 8 years, so it needs a little work. ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2007   #1

Default 1983 honda v45 magna rebuild project

just picked up a 1983 honda v45 magna. it's been sitting for 8 years, so it needs a little work. i figured i start a thread posting my progress and ask questions when needed. so far....
-the tank needs to be cleaned
-the carbs need to be rebuilt
-front fork seals need to be replaced
-electrical problems?

this is my first rebuild so if you have any advice to give me please do!
Chuby O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007   #2

The tank being cleaned and you may want to invest in a liner like Kreeme or something isn't too bad. The carb rebuild however is going to hurt. Getting the carbs off and on on a V4 isn't fun. The actual rebuilding of the carbs isn't too bad but though. Watch the little plastic tubes that carry fuel to each carb, if you break one they are expensive for a little chunk of plastic. Pick up a service manual and that will help you out a bunch.
Goobergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007   #3

yeah i picked up a manual. and i was planning on using kreem for the tank.... seems like im on the right track.... thanks for the info!
-dave
Old 02-06-2007   #4

well, im off to a good start...
got a battery for it and it turns over! replaced a few fuses and got all the lights working. but, im having problems with the clutch. i tried to bleed it but nothing comes out! so my guess is a clogged line or the master is shot... any thoughts?
Old 02-08-2007   #5

First thing I would try is taking the bleeder the whole way out. Sometimes the hole in it gets clogged with rust and junk. If that doesnt work take the master cylinder off and put it on a workbench with fluid in it. Squeeze the lever and see if it comes out. If it does you can suspect the line is clogged. You can rebuild the master cylinder instead of having to buy a new one. Rebuild kits are always on Ebay or direct from Honda or any other bike parts place on the net. If the line is clogged you can sometimes get the clog out with compressed air but most the time the line is shot anyways.
Goobergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007   #6

well i disconnected the line from where it goes into the trans (right next to the bleeder). and still nothing comes out of the line. so my money is still on the line/master. i guess im going to have to take it apart to pin point it! thanks!
-dave
Old 02-19-2007   #7

another question...
i know my main fuel tank has to be cleaned and sealed, but what about the reserve? it's been full to the top with old gas for years now but there's no easy way to get a good look inside of it....
Old 02-22-2007   #8

good news! i got the bike running! BUT.... its dies after a few seconds. so.... i dumped a little fuel into the carbs and it started right up again, ran a little longer, then died. so then i removed the fuel line right before the carbs and turned it over.... no gas was coming out. i checked all the lines and filters for clogs and all seemed okay. so my guess is the fuel pump. sound right to you?
also, where is a good place to buy one? thanks!
-dave
Old 02-25-2007   #9

The reserve tank is probably ok so you can let it alone. I would guess the fuel pump is bad like you thought. If it's electric you can take the line off and turn the key to the on position. Gas should come out in a stream, don't woory it's not under any real pressure. It's either a bad pump or the fuse for it or the wires.
talon699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007   #10

dont think its the relay b/c i can hear it click on.... so i will replace the pump and see what happens.....
still having problems with the clutch.... the master seems fine, and i had no problem blowing thru the line.... just cant seem to get any pressure to the end of it!