Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Manufacturers > Honda > 1983 honda v45 magna rebuild project

1983 honda v45 magna rebuild project

This is a discussion on 1983 honda v45 magna rebuild project within the Honda forums, part of the Manufacturers category; I just got an 83 magna v45 black. It looks like it has been through some hard times. Was just ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2009   #11

Smile

I just got an 83 magna v45 black. It looks like it has been through some hard times. Was just reading about your project O. I will maybe learn some stuff from reading about your project! BTW I got it for 50 bucks!
walnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009   #12
V65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuby O View Post
dont think its the relay b/c i can hear it click on.... so i will replace the pump and see what happens.....
still having problems with the clutch.... the master seems fine, and i had no problem blowing thru the line.... just cant seem to get any pressure to the end of it!
I have an 82' v45, i put a rebuild kit in the master cylinder, i bleed it from the bottom up, that is i used an oil can filled with brake fluid and connected a hose to the bleeder valve and pumped it through backwards(make sure you have something to catch the brake fluid with like a sponge or something in the master cylinder, or you'll have a mess). i also rebuilt the slave cylinder and replaced my clutch plates, after all this my clutch still didnt work, i came to find out my grips on the bike (aftermarket which i installed) were not letting the clutch lever go down far enough, put the stock grips back on and it works great. i did not need to rebuild the slave cylinder or replace the clutch plates, although i did need the master cyinder rebuild kit. My master cylinder also seemed fine, as i would get brake fluid to go through the line, just no pressure.

does the 83' v45 have 5 idiot lights and a digital temp gauge like the 83'v65?
I just bought a 83'v65 and was wondering if anyone new what the idiot lights were??
V65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009   #13

Default Have an 83 V45 750 Magna - just beginning to work on it

Hey, I also have an 83 V45, have to take care of some of the same problems. I have rebuilt an 82 Suzuki GS850G, so am nt too bad with tools.
I need to Kremecoat the tank, replace gas lines - I got caught with clogged fuel filters on the road once, I'm sure the carbs could use a nice cleaning, what makes them so hard? Need to have my front forks redone, and I'd like to find someone to re-do my pillion seat rest, it has some damage. Would also like to r/r rear shocks, not sure if they need it though.

One thing I can't find in my manual, does the reserve tank have an on-off valve?

How's your rebuild going? Any suggestions for getting old chrome to shine up?
cv66seabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010   #14

Default similar project

hey dude, I've been reading about your project. i'm currently working on restoring an 83 v45 Magna that was killed by its last owner. he seized the engine twice. anyway after a long search i found a new motor and over this passed weekend i got it running and it's sounding very nice, although it doesn't have the exhaust on due to broken exhaust stud in the front head.
but about your fuel problem. i went through the same problem on Saturday, the relay clicked on, the pump clicked but didn't pump. i took it apart and cleaned what i could, the contacts and the actuator and it came back to life.

so now all that's left on my project besides tons of cosmetic work, is fixing the rear break linkage, cleaning the carbs and bleeding the clutch.
one thing i found with the clutch is air likes to build up in the line at the top of the hose where it connects to the fluid reservoir. i did the same bleeding technique (pump the handle and hold down while opening the bleeder to release the pressure then closing it) but i opened the banjo bolt on the top and a ton of air came out. though from what i read on your post it does sound like a clogged line, the steps i took my help you.
once i fix this broken stud problem i can put the exhaust on and get to the fun part of riding and tuning. its been a long 2 years and im ready to ride!
imperialdarkryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010   #15

I'm rebuilding a 85 v65 ran into clogged brake lines and after fixing the the best way i found to bleed the system is with a vacuum pump and took 2-3 minutes to clear all air out just watch master cylinder and keep full with fluid. Nice project! good luck, Tim
tim396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010   #16

Default clutch problems

u need to clean out all dot 3 fluid. use dot 5 with silicone. first bleed at banjo fitting at master cylinder a few times to get air out. then bleed at slave cylinder several times. the dot 5 fluid resists heat better than dot 3 and will hold up better. have you replaced the master cylinder kit ? if not, you can get one at old bike barn.com for about 25.00. this worked for me. hope it does for you.
greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010   #17

Default need carbs

the last person that had my 1983 v-45 750 magna cross threaded the the air mixture valve screw on the carb closest to the water inlet on the right hand side if you are sitting on the bike. we shined a light into the hole and it's all boogered up. looks like they broke an easy out off in it. i can't figure out how to get this screw out,so i need that carb body. if anyone has 1 could you let me know. thanks,james.
greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012   #18

Default Need some help

Just bought an 83 v45 and am in the process of getting it rideable again. I have some mechanical knowledge from working on my other vehicles, but motorcycles are somewhat new for me to be working on. Here's what I have so far. I replaced the battery and the bike fires right up and runs fine. I am having trouble with the blinkers, when I flip the switch to either side, the front blinker for the corresponding side will go out, but will not blink, and the rear blinkers dont work at all. could this be the work of a burnt fuse or does this sound more like a problem with an electrical component? also, does the clutch system work off of the same master cylinder as the brakes, or is there more than one?
chapstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012   #19

As far as the blinkers first check bulbs the front ones should be two element the rear one element so the front three wire the rear two wire. make sure connections clean and wires not pinched or damaged. The front signals should stay on the rear ones only when engaged. Good luck Tim
tim396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #20

Default v45 fuel pump

just picked up 1983 v45. bypassed wiring on fuel pump and the pump runs , but will not run by the key. does the pump have a separate fuse , and if so where? so far everything else works just need to get the clutch to pump up. thanks
jerry76 is offline   Reply With Quote