Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Manufacturers > Honda > '83 V65 reserve tank clogged, suggestions?

'83 V65 reserve tank clogged, suggestions?

This is a discussion on '83 V65 reserve tank clogged, suggestions? within the Honda forums, part of the Manufacturers category; Hello all, I have an old Magna that has been sitting for about 4 years. It was a weekend rider ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2012   #1

Default '83 V65 reserve tank clogged, suggestions?

Hello all,
I have an old Magna that has been sitting for about 4 years. It was a weekend rider before that time, always ran great. Just getting it ready for action again, and have run across a little dilemma.

The storage on this bike was unexpected, so no stabilizer was added to the fuel. The main tank was nearly drained, and looks better than I'd expect. The reserve tank however is clogged at the output to the filter. I am pulling out a thick black tar mixture along with tiny amounts of clear gas.

Being that this tank is a royal pain in the rear to remove, any suggestions on flushing this thing in place? If not I understand...just thought I'd ask in the off chance.

Thanks.
Italie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012   #2
lha

Put a bucket under the petcock,unscrew the bolts and remove the petcock,clean the filters.If it doesn't have filters,Mikexs and others have them so you can have filters on the pickup tubes.You can pour diesel through the tank to flush the trash out of the tank. I would install an inline filter to remove the trash before it gets to your carbs. lha
lha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012   #3

Thanks for the reply...those are the exact steps I ended up taking. The petcock was the main clog, tubes weren't as bad as I thought. Still picking up trash in the inline filter so I was going to flush it out tonight. Main tank was cleaned with evaporust and treated, must still be sediment in the secondary.
Italie is offline   Reply With Quote