Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Kawasaki G5

This is a discussion on Kawasaki G5 within the Kawasaki forums, part of the Manufacturers category; Anyone have any clue how/where to start restoring this bike? For starters, the Gas tank is super rusty....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2010   #1

Default Kawasaki G5

Anyone have any clue how/where to start restoring this bike? For starters, the Gas tank is super rusty.
AvasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010   #2

You can take restoration to any level you wish, you can go all the way and bring it back to show room condition or you can do just enough to make it run again. Most people are happy somewhere in the middle.

So, the question is: how far do you want to go with it?

Fuel tanks can be coated inside with a product called Kreem that will fuel proof the tank and seal the rust in making it usable again. Outside the tank can be painted, it's best to have a shop that specializes in motorcycles, most autobody shops can't to an acceptable job painting a motorcycle tank. It does appear that reproduction decals for the tank and side panels are available.

When selecting a motorcycle for restoration get one that's "all there", it may be rusty and have UV damage but is complete with all the parts. You can't recondition what you don't have and parts for older Japanese motorcycles that don't enjoy continued popularity can be very hard to find parts for.

Here are some links:

Fuel Tank sealer here:

Kreem Products - Kreem Tank-Prep

Reproduction Decals here:

http://www.reproductiondecals.com/default_frameset.html?content.html~main

To complete a full restoration is usually best done over the winter months, it seems to take me about 10 weeks and can cost many times the value of the motorcycle.

- John
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010   #3

Thanks! My mom bought the bike for 7.50 at an estate auction. I wouldnt mind putting a couple hundred into it to have something to ride next summer.
Old 07-28-2010   #4

I just restored a 1972 kawasaki g5 100 to new condition but like john said you have to decide how far you want to go. my bike came completely apart to the frame. the frame and all the painted parts were sandblasted and powder coated the origial color, all chrome parts were sent out and rechromed, all the origial bolt nut washers were sent out and replated, I like using all origial hardware it makes the bike look factory when you look at the fastners and see the factory numbers on them #7#4 ect. I completely rebuilt the engine, new bearings nos crankshaft, gaskets, seal, cylinder, piston, and rings, the center cases were polished and the painted cases were sandblasted and powder coated the original silver gray color, the fuel tank was very rusty inside. before I relined it I put in about 2 cups of pea gravel [ yes rocks] with dish detergent and hot water and shook the fuel tank with this mix in it for about 1 hour changing the water every 15mins this cleaned all the flakey rust off the inside of the tank . than I used por 15 fuel tank liner. it is a silver gray color, it came out great! I also respoked a set of wheels using nos rims spokes and hubs, I could not find yokohama tires but i did find irc tires that have almost the same tread pattern, I also was able to peel the manufactoring decal off the frame and had it reproduced from a local sign shop. I did use reproduction decals for the fuel tank and side cover and fender. there decals are the best!! I spent more then the bike could probably sell for but this was the same model and year as my 1st bike and has more value to me because of that. and I will never sell it. good luck and check out my photos my bike is the yellow 1972 g5 pictured on the kawasaki page.Tony D.

Last edited by tonyd; 07-29-2010 at 07:32 AM.
tonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010   #5

Smile Gas tank

what year is your bike, I have a parts bike with a nice tank and exhaust, engine parts and airbox, let me know what you want or send me a pic of your bike,
moseyboy
moseyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010   #6

The sticker says 11/71. So im thinking 1971.
downsized_0725001746.jpg
Is the picture.
Old 07-29-2010   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvasMom View Post
The sticker says 11/71. So im thinking 1971.
Attachment 156
Is the picture.
It was likely sold in 1972, Kawasaki like Honda didn't do the model year thing back then. If the bike was made in November 1971 it didn't land in the dealers show rooms until late spring 1972. It routinely took 5 to 6 months once the bikes were produced to make it to the US shores and through the distribution system. Now, the trick comes when the bike was produced in June of that same year, now what year was it? If it was a very popular model sometimes they would produce a second run of them again in the late spring. Pretty much if you see the production date was any later than June it was the next years model. Honda solved the problem by not using year names - as did Kawasaki, so they could produce bikes year round and not sell year by year. They were upgraded yearly, but there was no specific time the bike would be introduced back in that time period. Kawasaki called that model an F-1, F-2 and so on. Honda used K models, a K4 CB-350 was sold generally in 1972, while a K-4 CB-450 was generally sold in 1971, but a K-4 CB-750 was generally sold in 1974. It wasn't until later that the DOT insisted that motorcycles be sold by "Model Year"-and that was 1977.

- John
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011   #8

http://photobucket.com/DebbiePatterson
Starting a 1973 resto on Kawasaki G5 in real rust condition. Will need a rear wheel, and a maybe a better gas tank and a set of triple trees with forks and handel bars.
Here is my rust bucket start. It is nestalgic to me otherwise I would start with something in better shape.

Last edited by cleanpool2; 01-21-2011 at 07:38 PM.
cleanpool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013   #9

greetings all,
i am redoing a 72 g5 first day production-- i would sure like to find out from tonyd or? what paint mix he used on his very nice 72 resto. i just gave a friend a tank to take to Daytona to be painted by his painter, so any new mix details would be appreciated.
bigmo
bigmo56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013   #10

Default paint color 1972 Kawasaki G5

Hi bigmo56. I restored this bike I think 4 years ago? I purchased a NOS oil tank cover and gave that cover to my painter. He matched the yellow almost perfect and even gave me the left over paint but I have no paint number, there is nothing written on the left over paint can and my painter did not write down the paint number that he mixed up for this bike. Sorry I can't help you. Tony D
tonyd is offline   Reply With Quote