Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Manufacturers > Suzuki > C50 Boulevard Rear Fender Bolt Length

C50 Boulevard Rear Fender Bolt Length

This is a discussion on C50 Boulevard Rear Fender Bolt Length within the Suzuki forums, part of the Manufacturers category; Does anyone know how long the factory stock rear fender bolts are on a 2005 Boulevard C50 sold with out ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2006   #1

Default C50 Boulevard Rear Fender Bolt Length

Does anyone know how long the factory stock rear fender bolts are on a 2005 Boulevard C50 sold with out passenger backrest or sissy bar? I figure this stuff is common knowledge, right?

See, I have a suspicion that the rear fender bolts on mine are not factory stock. Maybe the last owner put on a backrest and took it off before selling it.

1. Three of the four bolts have tool marks on them. The hex hole in three out of four of the bolts are chewed up. It looks like someone took them out and put them back in with an Allen wrench one size too small.
2. When I bought the bike, the pillion seat bolt was loose. So loose that it came out on the way home even after the dealer had tightened it.
3. The dealer gave me a replacement bolt. It is different than what came on the bike. The bolt that came on the bike was black and had an Allen wrench hex hole head. The bolt the dealer gave me to put on myself is silver with a traditional hexagonal head; the kind that takes a box wrench or socket.
4. The four rear fender bolts in my bike are 2 7/8 inches or 3 inches long, depending on exactly how they are measured. With my bike on rear suspension pre-load #6 and my wife on the pillion seat, there is just enough clearance between the rear tire and the rear most bolts for my index finger to fit. When she bounces up and down, the rear most bolts touch my finger nail. On #4, the rear most bolts will dig into the rear tire sometimes.

We each weigh about 220 pounds. Does this bike really need to be on #7 to carry us both?
Charlietue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006   #2

that is a good question Ram, and I will let you know in the morning (even though mine is an '08 not '05 they should still be the same length) so when I get up I will go and measure mine and post back.

I would do it now, but it is dark, and I am scared of the dark :o :D
Txsnow79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006   #3

ok, since I can't find my tape measure (or a ruler) this is just a guess, I walked outside to my bike, you know that small metal bar that runs behind the fender? yes the one that keeps the fender lined up, ok the 2 bolts (the one on the back end of the "side rail" isn't a bolt on mine, just a nipple that holds it, that the fender mount with are no longer than the depth of the side rail and the fender, in other words they do not extend past the metal rod.

If yours are rubbing the tires (at any time) then yes they are too long I would say your right about there being a sissy bar on the bike at one time that was removed but the longer bolts were put back in. Your local dealer should have the correct bolts (just get one then go to the hardware store and find the rest )

as for having the shock set on 7 for you and your wife, the bike has a GVWR of about 454 lbs. and I weight almost 400 myself, but I have never moved my shock from the stock setting (according to the book that is setting 4) and take my kids with me on the bike once in a while (they weigh between 130-145 lbs) and have had no problems with the tire hitting the fender.

are you confused yet? I tend to ramble this early in the mornings :D
Trev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006   #4

Thanks for your help. That's really cool of you to go out and check.

I think I get what you're saying. There is the chrome rail on the outside of the fender and a black tube rail on the inside of the fender. On mine, the bolts do not bolt into the black tube rail, only the outside chrome rail. There no holes for bolts to go into. Seems that rail is to stiffen the fender from the inside and the tail light mount plate is welded to this rail.

Here's a pic.
Old 06-03-2006   #5

I didn't get down and look (I'm too fat LOL) but I think that is the same on mine, I would say (now that I am awake more ) the bolts on mine are less than 2 inches in length, they do not go past that black rail, I put my hand under the fender and come to think of it, yeah the bolts were above the rail on mine also, but they were flush with it, not sticking past.
beamer8z8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006   #6

To the hardware store go I. But, watch this be another odd ball size like that rear seat bolt. A bag of bolts later and I had to go to the dealer. At least it was free. Maybe I can talk 'em into 4 more free bolts. I'll call it a hazardous construction as it is and something they should have caught. They really should have, too.

I'm thinking of nuts with nylon inserts and lock washers to go with the shorter bolts.

Oh, oh, oh! If I could get some kind of eye hook bolt to make it easier to tie stuff down to the rear seat...
Old 06-06-2006   #7

did you buy it used from a dealer? yeah that is something they should have caught, the bolt hitting the tire like that. I was thinking along the same lines with the eye bolts, but then I just planned on getting a sissy bar and bag anyway so I left it alone for now. Good Luck on finding the bolts. (when I change mine out for the sissy bar I will let ya know, maybe we can do something about you getting the right bolts for the rear fender)
mullen1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006   #8

Mine are 2 3/8 inches and have a button top with a 6 mm allen head. Mine are bunged up a little from taking off the fender to wire in some marker lights. Pretty soft metal.
Stacy T is offline   Reply With Quote