Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Manufacturers > Suzuki > Electrical issues, GSX 400

Electrical issues, GSX 400

This is a discussion on Electrical issues, GSX 400 within the Suzuki forums, part of the Manufacturers category; Hi all, just found this forum, I´m from Sweden and hope you can help me solve some electrical gremlings on ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2006   #1

Default Electrical issues, GSX 400

Hi all, just found this forum, I´m from Sweden and hope you can help me solve some electrical gremlings on my bike.
I got the bike a Suzuki GSX 400 FWS -83 dirt cheap because of the issues and couldn´t resist buying it :D
Here it goes:
The charge light (batt light on the cluster) is lit all the time, although the alt put's out 14V even at idle.
Is that light also used to monitor something else but the charge?

The other issue is the tachometer, it simply doesn´t work. It´s not driven by a cable so I wonder where it get it's signal from, the CDI or a sender somewhere?

The front brake light switch on the handlebar is broken, and when I took it apart the tiny little thing that closes the circuit when the brakes are applied fell out
Is that supposed to be like that or did it break off from something?
Daniel M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006   #2

I found a green/brown wire that was broken off of something, it was on the right hand side by the airbox. I connected it to Bat+ and the charge light went off.
Does Suzuki measure the alt output by monitoring voltage over the battery terminals?

The tachometer is the next thing on my to-do list, does anyone know where it get´s it´s signal?
Old 06-28-2006   #3

Sounds like you found one problem with that broken wire. Surely a front brake light swith can't be that hard to come by....I hope! Can't help witht he tach, bro. Just went through the inde on my Clymer manuel and the tach (nor gauges) is not mentioned. It's bound to have a sending unit...and it makes sense that it would come from the CDI or near by. So on a scale of 1 - 10 my info is about a 2. :o
Alone in the Crowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006   #4

I´ll change the banjo bolt on the front brake to a pressure sensitive one that has a built in brake switch.
I´m sure the switch can be found at the Suzi dealer but the pin that actuates the switch is broken off on mine...
Old 03-15-2012   #5

Default gsx 400 fws

Hi,

have resolved with the tachometer sensor? anchio I have a gsx 400 fws with the same problem. I do know?

Hello
alessandroscac is offline   Reply With Quote