Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Manufacturers > Suzuki > Exhaust System for '87 Suzuki GSXR 750

Exhaust System for '87 Suzuki GSXR 750

This is a discussion on Exhaust System for '87 Suzuki GSXR 750 within the Suzuki forums, part of the Manufacturers category; Hello. I just purchased an '87 GSXR 750 with only 1870 original miles on it. The stock muffler is bone ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2006   #1

Default Exhaust System for '87 Suzuki GSXR 750

Hello. I just purchased an '87 GSXR 750 with only 1870 original miles on it.
The stock muffler is bone ugly and TOO quiet. I'm having trouble locating an aftermarket system for the bike (full system, not slip-on). Any recommendations?? Where can I get the best price, mail-order wise??
I found one company that quoted me $251 plus shipping for a Kerker White Tip series, full system. The headpipe is silver ceramic coated (JET HOT) instead of black. I can't find any photos of this system or much other info on it. Anyone familiar with it??
Also, am I likely to have to re-jet the bike when I put on an aftermarket exhaust???
I've ridden motorcycles for 41 years, since age 15, and have had sportbikes before, but nothing quite like this bike--awesome power and handling. I really got the bike primarily for my 27 year old son to use, so he and I can do rides together again (he just got out of 4 years in the Navy), but I find the bike a blast to ride occasionally myself, even at my age.
Thanks for any advice offered.
The Old Guy
Janet K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006   #2

251 is cheap. kerker is a good exhaust. there a picture of one on my webpage. go to pictures. click on the 'other racers and racebikes' and you'll see the valvoline emgo suzuki with a kerker exhaust on it (yours won't be titanium though). btw, if you look for more pictures, the team now uses m4, so you'll have to go back to 96-97 timeframe.

i know a guy who got a hindle for his 1986 limited edition gsxr750 not too long ago. you may have a problem getting an exhaust for an 87, because they discontinue stuff.

you can check with chris at www.fcycle.com i don't know if he's gone to daytona, so be patient, but he's selling hindle exhausts REALLY cheap. hindles are light and make good power.

a jet kit is likely a good idea too.

and wow, you were young when you had you son!!!
Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006   #3

Originally posted by FZR400Tony
and wow, you were young when you had you son!!!

41+15=56, 56-27=29. Not really that young. Tony not good with math. :D

What I wanna know is the story of a 14 year-old bike with 1,870 miles on it!

Welcome Lee!
Kevin R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006   #4

Originally posted by Pete

41+15=56, 56-27=29. Not really that young. Tony not good with math. :D

Welcome Lee!

i added that when i edited it. for some reason i just saw the 41. i'm thinking 41-27=14.

tony's good with math; bad with reading. well, reading, speeling :), writing, riding, etc. etc.
tazman332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006   #5

Originally posted by Pete

I know what you mean Pete, Let us know if you two are related :D
dswann54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006   #6

Originally posted by leebunyard
Hello. I just purchased an '87 GSXR 750 with only 1870 original miles on it.
The stock muffler is bone ugly and TOO quiet. I'm having trouble locating an aftermarket system for the bike (full system, not slip-on).
Also, am I likely to have to re-jet the bike when I put on an aftermarket exhaust???
I've ridden motorcycles for 41 years, since age 15, and have had sportbikes before, but nothing quite like this bike--awesome power and handling.....

...... I find the bike a blast to ride occasionally myself, even at my age.
The Old Guy

damn!!!! Finally someone older than me on a gsxr 750 thats older than mine :) (but my 88 has 30,000 mi on it)

Just when I think it's time to buy a Harley (and then kill myself) I run into someone who shows me theres life after 50. Last week while looking at the new bikes I talked with a guy who was getting the new, totally nuts gsxr 1000 for his 51st birthday. ( I made sure my wife knows its now on my list for christmas)

OH ya! about the pipe, people I know who have owned a older gsxr tell me that you will save ALOT !!! of weight by replacing the stock system. I can't tell you much more, but I wonder if any of the stuff for the newer KATANA 750'S would work since that motor was based on you gxr's motor.
MR HAPPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006   #7

leebunyard, nice wow how'd you find someone with a 87 with so little miles. I use to have a blk/red 87 which got me into gixxers in the 1st place after i trashed my cbr600 86'. as i can recall back in 1992 i had a D&D slip on pretty loud and a jet kit with k&n filters(pain in the harse if you lose one.) I agree the pipe was ugly. the slip on give good power and probaly less cashola.
I know you dont want a slip on but..question is what kind of riding are you going to be doing or your son?
the performance i gained with the sprockets and slip on and jet kit was good enough

just my .02
kpurskin
(keep your skin, use a dead cow)
Tim LV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006   #8

Thanks for all the comments and advice, guys. Yeah, most of you got the math right: I'm 56 (actually just turned 57 a few weeks ago); my son just turned 28 last month. I'm a greytop (full head of hair though), so I get some strange looks when I get off the Gixxer and take my helmet off, but frankly, I don't give a rip what anyone thinks--I enjoy riding the Gixxer. I wouldn't want to ride cross country on it, but for a few hours, it's a blast.
The story on the bike is it was purchased new in 3/87 by a young woman in the Army. She apparently was real tiny, 4'11' or so--had trouble getting her feet on the ground so didn't ride it much. Transferred to Nevada, bike was put in storage for over 10 years. She sold it last summer to a young fella who planned to keep it stock but things came up and he had to sell it. He had put new tires on it because the OEM's were weatherchecked, even though barely worn.
My son and I just finished the mods we wanted to do to the bike: 1) removed those ugly stickout turnsignals and mounted flush mount turnsignals to the body (incredible improvement in appearance); 2) had the rims powdercoated to match the medium blue on the bike; 3) put on a RevPak matching blue Cordura tankbag; 4) put in a K&N foam air filter; 5) put on a Vance & Hines Supersport exhaust system; 6) rejetted the bike with a K&N Dynajet kit. Bike looks, runs and sounds awesome. The V&H pipe looks great, has a great sound but is louder than I expected--hope it doesn't attract redlights <BSEG>. We now have 2600 miles on bike. My son and I are planning camping ride to Washougal, Washington in late July to take in the National Motocross race there--can't wait.
I posted another note a few minutes ago asking for advice on the largest rear tire I could put on the bike, using the stock rear rim. Appreciate any advice on that anyone cares to offer.
Take care, guys.
Lee--"The Old Guy"
Janet K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006   #9

I'll be 48 yrs old in July so I'm getting up there myself. I bought a 2000 Hayabusa last summer, and almost immediately put on a 4-2-1 Two Brother's Racing nickel-plated, single-filament, carbon fiber exhaust system. I dropped nearly 30 lbs from stock pipes and went up 9% on the dyno at the rear wheel. You'll probably be well advised to have the carbs rejetted to get max performance out of the system. In my life I've owned Kerker, Yoshimura, Vance & Hines, and now Two Brother's Racing aftermarket exhaust systems. In my opinion Two Brother's Racing is the best looking and the best sounding of the pipes I've owned. It's not cheap. The system I got cost $750, plus $150 to install, and then another $75 to remap the fuel injectors. But now my bike screams, literally and figuratively. I've attached a pic of the system on my Busa. I look at exhaust systems as the only way you can bolt on power to your already powerful machine.
Mark R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011   #10

Hello there everyone I'm new here I just got started, I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get a new clutch master cylinder for my 1986 Suzuki Gsxr750, The clutcj on the bike slipes now and I can't ride it anymore because there no brake fluid in the clutch master cylinder(I can't put any in there because the screws on the clutch master cylinder are sripped :( So if anyone could help me out and tell me if there are any different clutch master cylinder I can't put on my 1986 Gsxr750,Because iv looked for a clutch master cylinder everywhere and I can't find one anywhere ),I bought the bike about a week ago and the only thing it needs is the carbs to be cleaned out witch ill be doing and that new clutch master cylinder that's will be all I need to be back on the street riding again, Thanks for reading and please let me know if you know anything about what I need, Thanks again
Gixxer750 is offline   Reply With Quote