Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Manufacturers > Yamaha > 2008 virago 250 - getting into neutral problems

2008 virago 250 - getting into neutral problems

This is a discussion on 2008 virago 250 - getting into neutral problems within the Yamaha forums, part of the Manufacturers category; I am a newbie and will take the MSF course next week. I have been practicing on my 3 week ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2006   #1

Default 2008 virago 250 - getting into neutral problems

I am a newbie and will take the MSF course next week. I have been practicing on my 3 week old bike and have noticed its almost impossible to get the bike into neutral after the bike has been moving. The dealer "lost" the owner's manual and they were suppoded to replace it last week but it still "has not arrived". I have no problems shifting while driving just getting into neutral. Any tricks? Could there be something wrong with the shifting mechanism? How would I know? Thanks.
I Demand Answers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006   #2

Hi landsman113. We usually don't shift into neutral while the bike's moving. Why do you want to do this?

BTW the bike will be hard to shift into first when NOT moving. You need to be into first before you stop.

You say your bike is 3 weeks old. Is it a used 3 week old bike or a new one. If used, when was the last time the oil was changed. Old oil will make shifting harder.

Tony
jubjub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006   #3

As it turns out this is a common problem with many new motorcycles. After googling this problem I found that one needs to move the motorcycle forward and backward several times (while motorcycle is off) and the attempt to place in neutral and wala it works. As to why this works it is a mystery to me.

I like to start the motorcycle in neutral (because I am a newbie?), that is the only reason I was asking this question. apparently after 1000 miles of using the motorcycle, getting into neutral gets much easier, again I am not sure why.
I Demand Answers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006   #4
ram

It's part of the "break in" period of a brand new motorcycle. Brand new parts will have small burrs and rough surfaces. As the bike runs and the parts move the burrs will come off and the rough surfaces will get smoother.

When you take your bike in for it's first service ask the mechanic if you can see the oil that came out of the bike. It will look like black metal flake paint. If you shine a light on it it will look like someone poured a very fine glitter in it. This is normal and this is what is meant when you hear the term "break in oil".
ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006   #5

As it turns out this is a common problem with many new motorcycles. After googling this problem I found that one needs to move the motorcycle forward and backward several times (while motorcycle is off) and the attempt to place in neutral and wala it works. As to why this works it is a mystery to me.

I like to start the motorcycle in neutral (because I am a newbie?), that is the only reason I was asking this question. apparently after 1000 miles of using the motorcycle, getting into neutral gets much easier, again I am not sure why.

I still need to move back and forth to get back to neutral from first. And I'm pretty sure most people like to start their bike in neutral (for the warm-up process - you don't wanna hold the clutch while it's warming up).

While the bike's moving I normally get to neutral from second gear. If it just went to first I'd just kick it back to second and get to neutral. It's easier to get to neutral from second.

It's part of the "break in" period of a brand new motorcycle. Brand new parts will have small burrs and rough surfaces. As the bike runs and the parts move the burrs will come off and the rough surfaces will get smoother.

When you take your bike in for it's first service ask the mechanic if you can see the oil that came out of the bike. It will look like black metal flake paint. If you shine a light on it it will look like someone poured a very fine glitter in it. This is normal and this is what is meant when you hear the term "break in oil".

Interesting! It's common sense but I never thought of that. I kept wondering why the first service is so short! Thanks,
Guadalupe G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #6

I am a newbie and will take the MSF course next week. I have been practicing on my 3 week old bike and have noticed its almost impossible to get the bike into neutral after the bike has been moving. The dealer "lost" the owner's manual and they were suppoded to replace it last week but it still "has not arrived". I have no problems shifting while driving just getting into neutral. Any tricks? Could there be something wrong with the shifting mechanism? How would I know? Thanks.

This link had an option to download an owners manual:

http://www.starmotorcycles.com/star/...home/home.aspx

Here's even better:

http://www.starmotorcycles.com/star/...s.aspx?ls=star

On my 1300, I've never opened the paper manual because I got the electronic copy and I can search it.

Bummer -- I see that there's only 2007 Virago 250 manual and not 2008. Perhaps they're pretty close anyway (esp. if there were no changes for 2007 to 200.

Dennis
sydneysmoores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006   #7

Folks, as things get worn a bit and the bike gets some miles on it things will get easier. The reason it is suggested you move the bike backward a bit or forward a bit (running or not) is because the gear stack is at a point where things are heads up and not quite in alignment. From time to time I can still run into this on my Sporty, the FZ6 or the Roadstar and they are long past the break in period.
nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006   #8

Very interesting...I am a newbie also, but I just got my dad's 1966 YH1 305. I have been having that EXACT SAME PROBLEM. Many of your post have been helpful. I noticed that it goes into neutral from 2nd once I have been moving. I can never get it into neutral from 1st after I have gotten going. The only reason that I want to go to neutral is that it seems like the clutch starts to give a little after idling for a while. So if I am at a stop sign or light I will need to get it out of gear.

It goes into neutral from first when it is not running. I just have to move it back and fort to get to a position where the gears aren't engaged before sifting.
greendonkey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006   #9

My 2005 Virago XV250 has 7500 miles on it, and finding neutral is also sometimes tricky. So I'm not so sure it's always a break-in issue. I do find that moving slightly forward or back does indeed help to find the "sweet spot" when I'm having trouble finding neutral.
neuro
Croxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006   #10

My 2005 Virago XV250 has 7500 miles on it, and finding neutral is also sometimes tricky. So I'm not so sure it's always a break-in issue. I do find that moving slightly forward or back does indeed help to find the "sweet spot" when I'm having trouble finding neutral.
neuro

When your bike is running and in neutral, the transmission main shaft is turning but the counter or "out put" shaft is not. When it is hard to shift into gear rocking the bike rotates the counter shaft just enough for the "dogs" and "slots" on the gears to align.
EskimoJo is offline   Reply With Quote