Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Manufacturers > Yamaha > 2008 virago 250 - getting into neutral problems

2008 virago 250 - getting into neutral problems

This is a discussion on 2008 virago 250 - getting into neutral problems within the Yamaha forums, part of the Manufacturers category; Unless I missed it, there is no mention of 'clutch drag' playing a factor here. Either from the wrong oil ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2010   #11

Unless I missed it, there is no mention of 'clutch drag' playing a factor here.

Either from the wrong oil (type or weight), clutch out of adjustment, or the fingers of

the clutch basket being worn to the point the plates won't separate enough to cancel any

drag which allows torque to be placed on the gear dogs.

I find it easier to go from second to neutral just before stopping at a light and having to

wait for the green or before I shut the engine off.

A good indicator if your clutch is dragging is a hard 'clunk' with a noticeable forward

lurch when placing the tranny into first from neutral.

I cringe every time I see someone viciously stabbing the shifter with a 12D boot trying

to find neutral or attempting to get it back to 1st from 5th @ a standstill, because they

forgot to downshift before stopping.

Pretty brutal force being applied to those (small) transmission shifting parts that wasn't

designed for that kind of punishment.

A lot of bike owners needs to understand a bit better what is actually going on inside the engine/transmission cases to get a better idea why things do what they do to get you down the road. Here is

a couple links to a basic understanding of what makes 'em tick.

http://www.gadgetjq.com/transmission.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq11CusULlk

Last edited by Dadzo; 12-17-2010 at 06:28 AM.
Dadzo is offline   Reply With Quote