Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Manufacturers > Yamaha > TT500 SHUT OFF AND WONT RESTART

TT500 SHUT OFF AND WONT RESTART

This is a discussion on TT500 SHUT OFF AND WONT RESTART within the Yamaha forums, part of the Manufacturers category; I WAS RIDING MY 79 TT500 AND IT JUST STOPPED RUNNING AND WONT RESTART, NO ENGINE NOISES, KICKS OVER FINE. ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2006   #1

Default TT500 SHUT OFF AND WONT RESTART

I WAS RIDING MY 79 TT500 AND IT JUST STOPPED RUNNING AND WONT RESTART, NO ENGINE NOISES, KICKS OVER FINE. ANY IDEA'S?
polini123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006   #2

My first guess would be lack of fuel. Possibly plug wire(s) have come loose?
I'm sure you already checked that, so I'd say someone with more mechanical expertise than I, will hopefully be along shortly. :)
anick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006   #3

I dont know too much about Yamaha but it sounds like you blew a fuse.
Coriolanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006   #4

NEED MORE INPUT! I WAS RIDING THE BIKE SHUTS OFF,,,AND WONT RESTART, I M THINKING COIL, OR MAYBE STATOR. SOME ONE SAID SOMETHING ABOUT A VALVE SPRING POPPED OFF, BUT THAT DOESNT SOUND RIGHT TO ME, HELP MEEEEEE.
polini123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to driver25314
Default Tt500 shut off and wont restart

sounds like the points and condensor,tt500's had points and condensor located under the small cover just forward of the oil filter cover.the coil on this type of system rarely has any problems,and it gets it's voltage from a flywheel magneto setup,also bulletproof as far as failure.also check the wire going to the kill switch and make sure it hasn't grounded out somewhere on the frame.
driver25314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010   #6

Mine died after riding through deep water about 2 weeks earlier. Took the stator cover off and had 2" of water trapped in there which finally penetrated the works.
Dadzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010   #7

Does it backfire when kicked over? if so, it is an electrical problem. these bikes shear the woodruff key that keys the mag onto th crank. When the key shears it throws the timing off. Pull the left sidecover from the mag. You will see timing marks on the mag and also on the case. Turn the engine over by hand on the mag to top dead center on the compression stroke. You can tell when it is on the compression stroke because the valves will have clearance between the valve stem and the adjuster. Marks should line up on the mag and the case. Take the sparkplug out and squirt a little gas into the plug hole and replace the plug and see if anything different happens than has been happening. While you have the plug out check the compression by holding a finger over the plug hole. have someone kick the motor over, it should blow your finger off of the plug hole. A compression checker would be more accurate.
recycledcycles is offline   Reply With Quote