Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Manufacturers > Yamaha > V Star 650 Final Drive Issues

V Star 650 Final Drive Issues

This is a discussion on V Star 650 Final Drive Issues within the Yamaha forums, part of the Manufacturers category; Hi, I have a 2003 V-Star 650 Silverado and it has 26k miles. 2 weeks ago the rear end blew ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2011   #1

Angry V Star 650 Final Drive Issues

Hi,
I have a 2003 V-Star 650 Silverado and it has 26k miles. 2 weeks ago the rear end blew out. Should something like this have happened so soon? I do a lot of riding and I am pretty big. For example during the peak season May-August I was riding about 125 miles a day mostly at highway speeds. I am currently looking for a new final drive that will cost less than $500.
waynegrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011   #2

How long ago did you replace the rear tire?

When replacing the rear tire, the final drive has to be greased and set correctly. Just a small maladjustment will cause drive failure.

XV535 Rear drive swap for the 650 Vstar is the lowest cost option.
KMWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011   #3

The tire was replaced about a year and a half ago. It gave me no trouble and I would have not thought of the gears wearing out.
waynegrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMWilliams View Post
How long ago did you replace the rear tire?

When replacing the rear tire, the final drive has to be greased and set correctly. Just a small maladjustment will cause drive failure.

XV535 Rear drive swap for the 650 Vstar is the lowest cost option.
I have had 3 V-star 650s and my second one let go.

KMWilliams is correct about doing this swap as being the cheapest. I was able to find a 535 rear for about $125.

Make sure to follow the directions for aligning the rear end. It is not hard but if done wrong you will experience another break down.
sergbutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012   #5

Cool Rear Tire

Does this include 1100 V-Stars too? I like to have more information about the rear tire issue-wow!
Sluggo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sluggo66 View Post
Does this include 1100 V-Stars too? I like to have more information about the rear tire issue-wow!
the 1100's are completely different than the 650s. But if you have anywhere near 20k miles on your bike and have never lubed the splines, then it might be worth the time to do it.

I know when mine let go I had bought the bike with about 20k on it and it had a new rear tire. I promised that when the tire needed replacing that I would do the splines. Well, I only made it to 24K when it let go.

From the factory, they have very little, or possibly no lube.
sergbutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012   #7

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info about the splines, when I work on the rear brake I'll grease the spline.
Sluggo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012   #8

Default Final drive bearing

My Girl Freind has a Yammah xvs 650 and she like it very much. But a few weeks ago she noticed gear oil on the garage floor. I took the drive out and opened it up. What I found was that the support bearing for the pinion gear failed, metal fragments and a tore up the seal. The bearing was not the proper bearing for this application. Being a mechancial engineer I could tell you the exact cause, but suffice it to say it looked like a design flaw. When I ordered a replacement bearing it had a new part number. When I got it, I found that he bearing was completely redesigned. I replaced the seals and put it back on the bike. She said that a rattling noise went away that was there a very long time. Yamaha should stand good for this. I went to a deal and they said they would check it out but never called me back.
carbonbikerrider is offline   Reply With Quote