Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Manufacturers > Yamaha > vstar 650 will only idle

vstar 650 will only idle

This is a discussion on vstar 650 will only idle within the Yamaha forums, part of the Manufacturers category; First off, I am new to this forum. I just bought a 2000 vstar 650 for a "good deal" because ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2012   #1

Default vstar 650 will only idle

First off, I am new to this forum.

I just bought a 2000 vstar 650 for a "good deal" because it will not run right.
The story is that the bike sat for many years. From the looks of the tag registration that really may be the case.

The bike will only idle while the choke is pulled all the way out. As soon as I give it any throttle it dies.

I pulled the carbs off the bike and soaked the misc parts I could remove in sea foam. Everything looked really clean when I first pulled it apart as the original owner said he cleaned them trying to get it to run right too.

I took a squirt bottle of fuel and dripped it into the carbs as it was idling and I could rip on the throttle a little bit, this makes me think it is still fuel related.

The fuel pump clicks and it will run gas through it but not with a lot of pressure. Is it meant to have very much pressure or just get the fuel to the carbs?

Did I miss something. Is there another carb cleaner that I should use. I heard of using small guage guitar string but I dont want to mess up any of the small orifices.
I dont have a air compressor but I can pick one up if it is needed to blow out the passageways.

What do you guys think. Is this a carb issue or can it also be more.
I appreciate any input you have.
mrwalters is offline   Reply With Quote