Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Manufacturers > Yamaha > What is the difference between the Yamaha xs650 and the xs650 Special motorcycles?

What is the difference between the Yamaha xs650 and the xs650 Special motorcycles?

This is a discussion on What is the difference between the Yamaha xs650 and the xs650 Special motorcycles? within the Yamaha forums, part of the Manufacturers category; If someone could specify the main differences between the two bikes that would be great....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2008   #1

Default What is the difference between the Yamaha xs650 and the xs650 Special motorcycles?

If someone could specify the main differences between the two bikes that would be great.
dsgb30043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008   #2

Twin front disc, a little extra chrome....
Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008   #3

all of the special models had round headlights, differant name plates , and yes a little extra chrome.
will s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008   #4

Well it goes like this-the XS650 first appeared in 1976 as a gradual development of the original XS1 ( 653cc) which was introduced in 1970.The original XS1, was based on a Hosk 500cc paralell twin and had front and rear drum brakes.The XS650SE Special appeared in 1979 aimed at the custom market it had mag wheels a stepped seat, high bars and a kind of peanut / tear drop style tank and had'Special'badges on the side covers instead of the'650'badges.If it had more chrome than the XS650 it must have been all on the higher handlebars.By the way the original XS650 had twin fron discs and the XS650SE Special only a single.
mwhelan53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008   #5

original XS650 in 1969/70 had twin leading shoe, drum front brakeXSS650 standard models had 18inch rear wheel and 4 gallon fuel tank. Customs or specials had 16 inch rear wheel (last 2 yrs had spoked wheels) If you have one or know someone who has one, go here.http://xs650temp.proboards29.com/index.cgi
1crazypj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009   #6

So, same frame throught the model? Same dimensions (ie. rake and such)? And what were the production years? I am looking to make a custom from one. I'll probably change the tires/wheels out (what are the stock sizes front and rear?) as well as seat and tank, but I'll need the rest. Thanks
shalbleib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012   #7

i have had at least 6 xs650s and they are very dependable the special is more of a factory chopper lead in..as it had the lil bit higher bars and the lower driver seat. the special was also a lil eaasier to handle because of the slightly lower center of gravity from tm the lower driver seat positioning..my first bike was a new rd 350 1975..then a 650 used then 77 750 triple which blew second gear so dealer gave me a new 650 for it trade cause no parts available.. then a a few more 650s used..then an 81 - 920 virago euro version (chain drive) then an 83 venture...now hoping to meet up with owner of 97 royal star i looked at and get it this weekend (just sold the venture a week ago.. any non yamaha bike i owned gave me problems..the xs650 never really gave me any problems.. good luck and happy riding
ROCKINGROBIN is offline   Reply With Quote