Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Manufacturers > Other motorcycle manufacturers > BSA B40, 1962. What petrol / oil should I run it on?

BSA B40, 1962. What petrol / oil should I run it on?

This is a discussion on BSA B40, 1962. What petrol / oil should I run it on? within the Other motorcycle manufacturers forums, part of the Manufacturers category; I have a 1962 BSA B40 - almost completed restoration project not used since 1972.Does anyone know what fuel I ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2008   #1

Default BSA B40, 1962. What petrol / oil should I run it on?

I have a 1962 BSA B40 - almost completed restoration project not used since 1972.Does anyone know what fuel I should run it on? do I need to use LRP or would unleaded be fine, as it has an alloy head so the valve seats must already be hardened.....I also need to know what oil should be used. Is it better to stick to old style oil, or to fit an oil filter and use modern combination oil (which grade in either case)? and also the oil level....If anyone also knows what the tyre pressures should be, chain adjustment and anything else useful I would be very greatful.Many thanks
steveypink85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009   #2

A service manual (NOT an owners manual) is a great investment for a classic such as this.
strech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009   #3

use premium fuel,with a lead additive or a top cylinder lubricant like marvel mystery oil, you add it to the fuel, for the tranny use Valvoline 50 wt racing. tire pressure is written on the side of the tire, and the chain should have 1 to 1and a half inch deflection both directions.
mycoldfeet is offline   Reply With Quote