Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Manufacturers > Indian > 1948 Indian Motorcycle with 8 original miles. What's it worth?

1948 Indian Motorcycle with 8 original miles. What's it worth?

This is a discussion on 1948 Indian Motorcycle with 8 original miles. What's it worth? within the Indian forums, part of the Manufacturers category; Neighbor of a guy I work with is selling a 1948 Indian. He claims it has 8 original miles on ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2008   #1

Default 1948 Indian Motorcycle with 8 original miles. What's it worth?

Neighbor of a guy I work with is selling a 1948 Indian. He claims it has 8 original miles on it, which I find hard to believe but is supposedly true. Its unrestored, but has been garaged and is supposed to be in pretty decent shape. Anyone know what this is really worth? He's selling for $27k.BTW - its the 74 cubic inch model - the Chief. Thats all I know.
Cornporto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008   #2

You really can't believe the odometers on a bike, because they are so easy to turn back, I'd question this a little more and run a vin check
bentworth78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008   #3

LOLOL I'd get a BIG magnifying glass, for that situation...an original Indian with miles like that's a museum piece...look for anything that says it might have come from such a museum....if it's legit, ownership papers and everything, snap it up like it was your last breath of air before diving in the pool. Mega mucho dinero, senor...
gokart121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008   #4

Sounds kinda far fetched to me.Do a search or you night ask any motorcycle dealer what he thinks.Good luck.
greendonkey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008   #5

Selling it at auction should bring a higher price.List it on ebay for the word to get a chance to bid on it.Depending on the model and what condition it is in $1000 to over $50,0000
pghmarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008   #6

Well, it depends on what kind of Indian, also. The Chief was the big boy, and it could easily be worth the $27K or more (depending on the condition it's in), but there was also the Scout (a smaller machine) which would be more in the $15-$18K range.I, too, find the"8"miles to be a little suspicious. Sounds more like it has a new speedo-unit installed, possibly after an accident, or possibly just because age and corosion ate the original.The bottom line is that you should take a good hard look at it, and determine its worth to you, personally. I would hesitate to buy an old motorcycle as an investment, since the market is running very high right now, but if you love the bike, and it seems good, go for it.I would probably give it a miss, myself, because I like to ride my bike, and a 58-year-old bike is more suited to being a museum exhibit than a daily driver.If you want a display piece, though, it could be a great deal.
Grendle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008   #7

Not sure - but that so-lobo guy up there sure seems like a complete a-hole. I'm sure everyone could agree on that.
HD William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008   #8

Can you give me your neighbours adress?
Vlexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009   #9

probably not way out of line, check out Mariah auctions online, if this is true, it may very well sell for that. getting so a average guy can't afford them anymore. walnecks classic cycle trader is a good one to look at ------
maintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009   #10

It's only worth what someone will pay for it. It's not worth more than a new one. You can buy a brand new one in Lake Charles, La. at the Harley Davidson/ Indian Motor Cycle shop. Price from 18k-23k out the door.I would not buy a 1948 anyway, they use to over heat and burn up the heads. Also getting parts, not gonna happen. ------
txhypnotist is offline   Reply With Quote