Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Manufacturers > Indian > Old-school bobber project for 1st time bike builder?

Old-school bobber project for 1st time bike builder?

This is a discussion on Old-school bobber project for 1st time bike builder? within the Indian forums, part of the Manufacturers category; I'm looking for a new project to occupy my time and right now I'm looking at building or restoring a ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2009   #1
Joe

Default Old-school bobber project for 1st time bike builder?

I'm looking for a new project to occupy my time and right now I'm looking at building or restoring a bobber style motorcycle. To give you an idea of what I have in mind, I'm in love with the old Indian 101 Scouts (but they're too expensive) and I really like the Oldschool Hardknock Bobber kits (except they're too small). Ideally I'd want to keep the total cost of the project below $6000. I don't need a huge bike, either (500cc is plenty big enough). I have done some work on my old'66 mustang and I owned a 2001 Suzuki GS500 for about a year, but this is the first time I'll be attempting serious mechanical work on a motorcycle. I know this is a bit ambitious, but I'm really looking for something to take up some time and that I can learn a lot from. Does anyone have any recommendations on projects? Are there particular model/years that would be good for me to try to restore that fit my criteria? Any kits? Are there any forums I should be looking at? Any advice at all on this would be much appreciated. Thanks!Hmm, so far I've been getting a lot of great answers, but I'd like to throw a little bit of a wrench in the mix. Like I said, I've fallen in love with the old Indian 101 Scouts. If you look at the side profile of this bike compared to other bobbers/choppers, the line from the seat over the tank is a much lower angle. This is kinda what I'm going for. I don't like the steep angles of most choppers. With that said, any suggestions? The scout did this by having the tank tucked under the top part of the frame. I imagine trying to replicate this on most other bikes would significantly reduce the size of the engine (less room). Thoughts? ------
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote