Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Manufacturers > Indian > Should the market allow the big three to go out of business?

Should the market allow the big three to go out of business?

This is a discussion on Should the market allow the big three to go out of business? within the Indian forums, part of the Manufacturers category; Where does it stop? Companies like Studebaker, Indian Motorcycles, AMC and Rambler failed for a variety of reasons: poor quality, ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2008   #1

Default Should the market allow the big three to go out of business?

Where does it stop? Companies like Studebaker, Indian Motorcycles, AMC and Rambler failed for a variety of reasons: poor quality, more and better choices, poor management, union cost, etc.In the case of the big three, advertisement has been poor. For example: Stop showing a bunch of cowboys doing donuts in the desert thinking I'll buy that truck. And how about stop making clones like GMC and Chevy trucks and cars. That would save a few bucks.Talk to me about the reliability of engines like the GM 2.5"Iron Duke"or Dodge's 318 V8.Compare the wages of union vs non-union pros and cons. Maybe the American taxpayers should consider bringing back Studebaker autos and Indian motorcycles for a bailout, too.
jim b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008   #2

In my opinion, Studebaker, AMC, etc... went out of business when the transportation market was not near the caliber it is today so it didn't have the affect on the economy the big three do. Letting the big three go out of business would a have a huge ripple affect on the economy costing us more in the long run. From people losing jobs in detroit, to plastic companies who supply the interior components, to The steel industries that supply the metal. It is such a huge business, having them, especially all three, go out of business would be a mistake.Now I do think if we bail them out, there should be huge restictions put into place. Like get the factories back in the USA, and have huge fines for sending work oveseas. If we bail them out, I sure as heck don't want to see them be able to send their newly saved factories overseas.As far as advertising, I understand why they advertise the way they do. If they start talking about their motors and the power, people get board. Some people don't care, they just want a cool looking vehicle, some people want to know the truck will handle what they throw at it (hence the desert cowboys) some want to know they will bust through snow and the capability of it off road (jeep) but I think they change their advertising around enough to try and please or trigger everyone to look at their vehicle (after all you remembered the commercial for dodge, thats what they want) Personnally, I want to know they put thought into the design and the vehicle will be practical, like the rear step on the ford, the ram boxes on the Dodge, and the cargo control systems in the chevy I think shows they are looking at more then just building a truck.The big 3 are not failing because of advertising, they are failing because of a slow economy and higher fuel prices. If i had more money,(as with most people) I would go buy a new truck, and I know what all of the new models have from their advertising, But because I am not making the money this year i cannot support the purchase of a new truck, as most people can't, therefore, we are not going to buy.
recreationalelectrical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008   #3

To many things depend on this big three including government.TaxesDirect employeesDealersAdvertisersImports/exports issue (This economy system can not let the huge amount of money being spent in cars and trucks escape from our hands)Etc...They will stay for sure.
D3pom is offline   Reply With Quote