Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Manufacturers > Indian > Will Indian roads tolerate more than 50-60 mph?

Will Indian roads tolerate more than 50-60 mph?

This is a discussion on Will Indian roads tolerate more than 50-60 mph? within the Indian forums, part of the Manufacturers category; I am moving back to India in maybe 2 years, and want to ride a motorcycle. My dad says that ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2008   #1

Default Will Indian roads tolerate more than 50-60 mph?

I am moving back to India in maybe 2 years, and want to ride a motorcycle. My dad says that the roads in India have an increased amount of sulpher which makes it hard for riding faster than 50-60 mph because the tires can't take it. Is this true/ If it is, is there any way to circumvent it?Currently I am 13 years of age and when I move there I'll be 15. I heard that you can get a license for upto 250cc motorcycles at that age. Is this just a myth? If so when can I get a 250cc motorcycle?Thanks in advance,Suvrat
Suvrat R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008   #2

I don't know the answer but it sounds like a myth. It also might be a way for your dad to keep you under 60 .
Dan M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008   #3

If the roads are rough it becomes a matter of the bike and rider. A duel sport bike will eat up a road that will have a cruiser or a sport bike putting along in the low gears.
ninebadthings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008   #4

Never having been to India I'm shooting in the dark here. But I would expect traffic congestion is very high and that road maintenance less than prompt. These to things alone suggest that speeds in excess of 50-60 mph just might be reckless.As for the sulfur content in the asphalt used in India, it would take a LOT of sulfur to threaten the short term integrity of modern tires. I believe that your father just wants you to survive your driving experience when you get around to having a driving experience. Parents are like that.As for the licensing requirements in India - use the Internet:http://www.indiandrivingschools.com/...india.htmlTake care.
jrg1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008   #5

Go to You Tube and dial in Motorcycles in India;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEfR-...eature=related
1oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012   #6

its just a myth. i visited India last year...and i guess the roads are pretty nice and bytheway i dont think you will get a license in an age of 15 years...you can get only a "learning license"
minimum age for license is 18 years