Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Gear > Helmets > Which motorcycle helmets are good?

Which motorcycle helmets are good?

This is a discussion on Which motorcycle helmets are good? within the Helmets forums, part of the Gear category; I was looking for a motorcycle helmet. Which ones are good? also taking into consideration the wind noise. What is ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2008   #1

Default Which motorcycle helmets are good?

I was looking for a motorcycle helmet. Which ones are good? also taking into consideration the wind noise. What is the proper way to measure what size I am (head)?
kirr45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008   #2

stud helmets are good...
Varun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008   #3

the one that saves you in a crash go to the store and try some on for size
toon l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008   #4

Arai Helmets. The dealer can size your head properly for the best fit.
knuckledragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009   #5

The ones that save your life!
rico3151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009   #6

all DOT helmets are made to the same standards, and they all will contain your brains in them......dont like helmets...........
ABCDEF U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010   #7

A proper fitting helmet that you are quick to put on is the best one. Too many (especially) newbie bikers buy the 'prettiest' or 'coolest' lid instead of one that actually wears best. My suggestion is to try a half dozen different ones, try Bell, Arai, Shoei, and even some the Chinese copies, from full face to demi-lid and from competition to cruiser but never compromise on the DOT and SNELL ratings. As the fella before me said, any helmet will keep the squash contained but won't stop your neck from snapping or your back from breaking on impact. My personal preference is to wear a very neutral fitting (proper but not tight) open lid and even demi-lid in the summer. But of course, I ride a touring bike... A crotch rocket rider would look pretty strange wearing a demi while wheel standing at 90, don't you think?
Olds13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010   #8

Default Which helmet is best ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirr45 View Post
I was looking for a motorcycle helmet. Which ones are good? also taking into consideration the wind noise. What is the proper way to measure what size I am (head)?
Helmet manufacturers are publishing sizing charts related to the circumference measurement of your head (similar to hat sizes). Just try them and choose a comfortable, but rather tight fit.

Least expensive DOT or SNELL approved helmets will often lack proper ventilation or will not allow the liner to be removed for cleaning. You just don't want to wear a portable sauna. More expensive DOT or SNELL helmets have better ventilation and have a lighter shell, with the same or better shock resistance.

The style of helmet you want to wear is a matter of personnal choice, considering the type of motorcycle you are riding too. I used to wear only full face helmets, but I now wear a hybrid (also called flip-up or modular) with integrated sunshades I can flip on or off for convenience and better ventilation. The possibility to flip up the chin piece is quite convenient to keep cool when idle in traffic or filling up at the gas station.

Full face offer the best protection and the least wind noise
Open face are cooler in warm temperature, but lack wind and shock protection for frontal impact.
Hybrid are the best compromise in my opinion and are getting more affordable in the past couple of years.

I found out helmet damages occur... when we drop it, so the more you are comfortable to wear it, the best chances you have to keep it in good shape.
Old 04-11-2010   #9

I've tried on several helmet styles from a ariety of manufacturers, over the years.
I settled on HJC (DOT) 3/4 style. First one was Black gloss seond one was red glossy, 3rd one is black leather covered style, current one is silver black ghost flame edition.
I.m a cruiser guy and my bikes have always had windshields, so open face helmets are my preference. I did try (bought) the HJC Symax flip front helmet, but find full helmets to noisey - -like being in a wind tunnel, most annoying, and tiring on a long ride. The Symax was noisey after aout 40 mph. but if I cracked the visor on the first notch it was fairly quiet.
I returned it and posted my comments on a popular MC web site(I didn't buy it from Cruiser Customizing though--got it at local dealer just posted it on my member site)
Also, at all the MC shows I've been to, ALL the manufacturer's reps from the helmet manufacturers or their Sales Reps say theirs have very little if any wind noise at all, including the high end(rather high priced) guys. That's bunk!
If you talk to any rider(that isn't to proud of his noisey lid to tell you the straight goods) they'll confirm what I'm saying.
Also, be careful of the weight - - -cheap and/or knock-offs are heavier and puts strain on the neck and shoulders on long trips, again very tiring.
Helmet to small/narrow, puts pressure on the temples and you can get head aches from that.
Too loose - inadequate protection if you go down.You don't want it sliding around on your head.
Bottom line is choose the style for your type of riding, pay attention to FIT, and I wouldn't advise jumping into one that is $800 to over $1200 to start unless you have lots of loot. Also, don't get into the low buck ones either IF they meet DOT and SNELL ratings, they probably JUST meet the standards.
Back in the early 60's no license or helmet laws, jump on and ride like you just stole it! That's pretty much how it was.
Today, I feel naked sitting on my bike to move it around the driveway, as well as sitting on bikes at MC shows - - - doesn't feel right.

Last edited by OLD BIKER; 04-11-2010 at 11:07 PM. Reason: spelling
OLD BIKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BIKER View Post
Helmet to small/narrow, puts pressure on the temples and you can get head aches from that.
Too loose - inadequate protection if you go down.You don't want it sliding around on your head.
Bottom line is choose the style for your type of riding, pay attention to FIT,
Right on 'Old Biker'! Couldn't have said it better myself. I've, over the years, had many lids and some I hated to retire because they felt so right. Fit is critical. I believe, to some degree, the tightness of the lid is akin to a tight fitting pair of shoes. Look good, wear good, but damn if the shoes are the ones in the back of the closet. Like you, my bike is screened and I find a demi-lid most comfortable. Wear it like a hat, no pressure points and no wiggle/jiggle either. Nothing like a 'just right' fit after a days ride.
Lamimartin may be correct, given a different riding experience, full face protection may be desirable. A tight lid was critical for maximum protection when I drove competitively, but it certainly wasn't what I would prefer to wear for 8+ hours while touring or cruising in 90+degrees / 100% humidity surroundings. Even NASCAR uses helmet AC to compensate for cranial overheat. I mean no disrespect, Lamimartin, but on this issue, our needs and desires differ. Sort of explains the abundance of choices doesn't it?
Olds13 is offline   Reply With Quote