Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Gear > Helmets > Which motorcycle helmets are good?

Which motorcycle helmets are good?

This is a discussion on Which motorcycle helmets are good? within the Helmets forums, part of the Gear category; Originally Posted by Olds13 (...) Wear it like a hat, no pressure points and no wiggle/jiggle either. Nothing like a ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2010   #11

Default Helmet selection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olds13 View Post
(...) Wear it like a hat, no pressure points and no wiggle/jiggle either. Nothing like a 'just right' fit after a days ride.(...)
I like very much your description of comfort "right fit".

I live in Canada where riding in rather cold conditions is more common than tropical heat and humidity.

Full face makes a lot of sense under cool or moderate heat condition, especially if you don't have a full wind shield, but in extreme heat, wind and open face helmets are welcome. Hybrid helmets are adaptable to variable conditions I encounter most.

Priority is always proper helmet/driver ventilation. The longer and the hotter the ride, the more attention and budget must go to helmet.
Old 08-13-2010   #12

Default Masei Helmets are quite ok..

Masei Helmets are quite ok.. and pricing is very reasonable!
you can get it for less than 100 bucks!

fknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010   #13

I have an HJC CL-2 half helmet for summer and a FG9 full face for now until May. The FG9s not bad if I'm not going too far, but after about 45-60 minutes it starts to cause pressure over the front-top of my head, and gives me a splitting headache anything longer. Which definitely takes the fun out of long rides.

When I first put it on its fine, and it fits like its supposed to--next size up was too big and floppy. Or maybe my head has just gotten too fat like the rest of me... :D A new full-face helmet is definitely on my list though I'm not sure how to tell whether a helmet is going to do that after an hour when I'm trying them out in the store.

"I have no help to send, therefore I must go myself."
- Aragorn
Kyuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuss View Post
... but after about 45-60 minutes it starts to cause pressure over the front-top of my head, and gives me a splitting headache anything longer. ...
You might want to ask around at different stores that sell quality name brand helmets. Some are qualified to make custom adjustments to the padding to fit certain head shapes. Also, other brand helmets may have 1/4 sizes that will allow you to find better fitment. Never, under any circumstances, should a helmet give you a headache. That is indicative of a severely improper fitting lid. Helmets are like shoes, not all shoes are the same, but you don't really know what you are missing until you leave Walmart and step inside a Floorsheim shoe store. Bottom line, your typical Hush Puppies may look good and initially feel good, but crap out way too early to justify the savings you thought you were enjoying. (no offense intended toward Hush Puppies or any other cheap shoe)
By the way: Price is secondary to quality. Trendy or flashy helmets may cost more due to the 'bling' but that doesn't necessarily equate to build quality. Example: Bell Helmets used to be considered among the best when they were built in the USA. Then the corporate idiots decided to go to China and get Fung Chow and his sweat shops to build our former American Icon. Now 'Bell' means nothing more than a name and a memory of what was once a leader in the industry. I've got a Chinese Bell that is all that Bell never would sign their name to, back in their USA days. Bell now gives you a high priced lousy fit, and a helmet that falls apart within a year (guts poorly glued in and of poor material construction). Shop around! Clue; if you can't find a corporate source for quality concerns, go elsewhere!

Last edited by Olds13; 10-18-2010 at 04:57 PM.
Olds13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010   #15

you're right olds13. I'm definitely going to look into a more custom-fitted helmet when i have the bread. Mainly just wanted folks here to know what brand's giving me the problem--HJC is a fairly popular helmet, and maybe they fit some people fine. Mine, not so much. And some of it's my own fault--I bought it and never did more than take quick rides in the winter. Now I have an actual touring bike and going for much longer rides in the cold, I discover that my helmet is p.o.s.

'course, never had this problem back in the days when helmets were something worn only while riding across directly across Massachusetts on the way to New Hampshire ;p

"I have no help to send, therefore I must go myself."
- Aragorn
Kyuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011   #16

I have tried so many helmets, but i like most HJC full face helmet with shield, it is really fantastic helmets, HJC is most popular brand and its price are also cheap, they are manufacturing a stylish and good quality products, a full face helmet will protect in weather and road danger, i have an also a HJC full face helmet and i am happy with my helmet.