Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Gear > Helmets > What are the safest motorcycle helmets?

What are the safest motorcycle helmets?

This is a discussion on What are the safest motorcycle helmets? within the Helmets forums, part of the Gear category; my boyfriend is getting a motorcycle. he refuses to wear a helmet cause he thinks it will look stupid. well ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2008   #1

Default What are the safest motorcycle helmets?

my boyfriend is getting a motorcycle. he refuses to wear a helmet cause he thinks it will look stupid. well i am going to get him a helmet because i don't want him to bust his skull open. what are the safest motorcycle helmets? like are there any suggested ones? but they have to look"cool"lol
nicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008   #2

the best is none...it wont obstruct you hearing or vision..on long rides he will be much less fatigued...helmets are for racing and dirt...they ALL look totally dorkyyour boyfriend is right...don't try to make him wear some gay helmet....if you want one fine...don't try tell him what to do..or he will dump youi been riding since the mid 60's.....
the bad seed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008   #3

Make sure it is DOT (ANSI) certified,,type in motorcycle helmets on your web browser and their are plenty of company's that sell DOT helmets...from Fullface to 3/4 and 1/2 and 1/4,Very cool looking and you can even get a system installed in your helmet for your cell and ipod ,mp3 even 2way comunication,or GPS...Biker G
Biker G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008   #4

Like earlier said, a Bell helmet or at least one that is Snell approved is your best bet. I've seen many wrecks I raced ATVs locally and nationally, for 7 years(required helmet usage by tracks) and it saved a lot of gray matter from spilling. Also my dad rode bikes(racing and leisurely) for years, had a wreck and split the helmet in two, now imagine if he wasn't wearing one. People today do not pay attention to motorcycle riders(go to ama.org) there are many fatalities because of auto accidents. If he doesn't wear a helmet get a insurance policy or make sure you have good health insurance. No matter how good of a rider, anyone makes mistakes and the biggest mistake would be not protecting what little sense we have. Good luck in persuasion honey, some people are stubborn but until they see the"light"or have it happen, they will wake up. Its great you care that much, wish you the best!
kalli w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008   #5

the one you wear is the safest. Seriously, If he just has to look cool, get a"beanie"style helmet. If he want's the best protection get a full coverage helmet. In between are half and 3/4 helmets with and without face shields. I've ridden for 41 years, when I was younger I alway wore a helmet. In my late teens to early 20's I wore one most of the time, now a days, I wear one if my wife or daughter are on the bike with me, because I insist they wear one. When riding alone, If on the highway, I wear a"beanie"style helmet, if in heavy traffic I wear one, but if light traffic and riding alone, I don't wear one. But I have excellent insurance, a good solid will written up to take care of my family if I do get hurt or killed, 41 years of riding experience to fall back on, and I ride very carefully.I tell everyone, wear a helmet, It's the cheapest insurance policy you can buy. Remember, in the end, there are only two kinds of"bikers". Those who have been knocked down, and those who will be knocked down.
Randy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008   #6

Full face helmets provide the best protection. And with the right paint scheme, the look sharp too.However it depends on what kind of bike he's planning to get. If he's getting a sport bike, then the full face will look okay. If he's getting a cruiser, the full face looks a bit out of place. They make short helmets that come down just to the top of the ear. Not as much protection, but they do look a bit better. And again, a nicely painted helmet can make all the difference. Obviously there's no mandatory helmet law where you are, or he'd have to wear a helmet. So it might be tough for you do actually get him to wear it. Personally, I never ride without a helmet, it's just not worth the risk.
rohak1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008   #7

To recommend anything but a certified helmet is ridiculous, it only has to save your life once to pay for its self. I had a Friend who was hit by a car doing 5mph,he fell awkwardly and ended up in a wheel chair for life. Take your b/f to a m/c dealer and buy him a helmet, it has to be fitted, if he still doesn't want to wear one, take him to the local rehab center.
solara437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009   #8

What do you mean"look cool", Just being alive is not cool enough....If that's the way he thinks,that"helmets are stupid"well he is not going to be alive for very long. ------
barry m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009   #9

Anything that matches his bike paint and jacket. ------
Squid Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote