Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Gear > Jackets > when buying a leather jacket for normal use, should i avoid motorcycle jackets?

when buying a leather jacket for normal use, should i avoid motorcycle jackets?

This is a discussion on when buying a leather jacket for normal use, should i avoid motorcycle jackets? within the Jackets forums, part of the Gear category; are they heavy/bulky? i don't have a motorcycle and most likely won't get one in the near future but might ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2008   #1
X Y

Default when buying a leather jacket for normal use, should i avoid motorcycle jackets?

are they heavy/bulky? i don't have a motorcycle and most likely won't get one in the near future but might get one eventually in which case i could just buy a motorcycle jacket then
X Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008   #2

Search on-line for San Diego Leather Jacket Company. They have a good variety...Especially pilot jackets.
Beejee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008   #3

Motor bikes are cool as, and you always want a spare jacket around if your going for a tandem ride on a friends bike. They are also hell cool, get a motor bike jacket !!!
Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008   #4

Most good quality motorcycle jackets are heavier than a casual leather jacket. The riding jacket will usually have extra leather, padding, or actual kevlar plating, sewn into the leather to help protect the rider if the rider should happen to put their motorcycle down. You will also find that most riding jackets will cost more than a regular leather jacket.If you prefer the look and style of riding jacket, then buy the riding jacket, whether you ride or not. If you are wearing the riding jacket and someone ask you if you ride, just tell them the truth.I actually own two riding jackets. One is heavy and bulkier for riding in cooler weather. The second on is a lighter jacket (but still is heavier than a casual leather jacket) that I use for warmer weather.Good luck in selecting a good leather jacket.
Mattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008   #5

motorcycle jackets in my opinion give too edgy a look for casual wear. it makes you look like a thug and would attract unwanted attention
temavict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008   #6

if it is just the"look"you want then go to a high street store and buy what you want.Quality motorcycle jackets have heavy gauge hide and padding and protection they are to cumbersome to drive a car in as they do not give you the flexability you will want.Also you will look a jerk in front of your mates.a good quality sheepskin or flying jacket is flexible and soft and can look stunning especially if you are going to lend it to the lady to ward off the cold.. you can't do that with a set of sweatty motorcycle leathers.however if you are trying to fake it in a biker dive then again you will look like a jerk.Buying a motorbike jacket because you think you might get a bike in the future is wasted ecconomy. buy the jacket of your choice now and get a motorcycle jacket when you get the bike..Scuff marks and tears are not signs of battle they are the signs of a poor rider who cares not for his future as a scuffed jacket will not save his skin should he fall off again.
Philip P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008   #7

You will find that the motorcycle jackets are heavier than non motorcycle jackets. The biggest difference you will find though, is that the motorcycle jackets will have sleeves that are a couple inches longer so riders don't get cold wrists while reaching up to the handlebars.Both jackets are available in many different styles and different thicknesses of leather.
lowdownmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009   #8

If it's a proper motorcycle jacket with heavy leather and armour in it then you'd look like a tool wearing it out casualy not to mention it would be bulky as hell. There are lots of motorcycle style jacket available that aren't meant to be used for riding although they look similar and are comfortable. Many people wear this type for riding which is better than a t-shirt but they have thinner leather and don't have any body armour to protect you in a fall. ------
Fizz400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009   #9

Don't buy a motorcycle Jacket if your not planning on using it for riding. It's a waste of money. ------
txhypnotist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009   #10

motorcycle jacket depends on the padding, it costs us$ 70-150,
you could choose winter use or summer use, they are different design,
but with 3M material is always good option !!
Teamworld is offer well-known branded names (i.e. BANDO, DID, NGK, YUASA) and accessories,Supply OEM motorcycle/scooter manufacturers such as Aprilia, Cagiva, Malaguti, Minarelli, Moto Guzzi, Kawasaki,and have Asiawide sourcing capabilities/production facilities.
Miomas0v is offline   Reply With Quote