Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Manufacturers > Aprilia > Buying a used aprilia 125 rs?

Buying a used aprilia 125 rs?

This is a discussion on Buying a used aprilia 125 rs? within the Aprilia forums, part of the Manufacturers category; im looking into buying a second hand'98 125 rs.. what should i be looking/listening for when i look over it ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2008   #1

Default Buying a used aprilia 125 rs?

im looking into buying a second hand'98 125 rs.. what should i be looking/listening for when i look over it before i buy?thanks in advance
Tom Kong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008   #2

The usual wear items to see how well is was maintained. Is the chain lubed? Old lube or is it fresh? The sprockets to. Take a look at the oil, and see if it has been changed recently. if there are items that have been"removed"see if the mounting points are there and functional. That may tell you if it laid down. Brakes, brake fluid. Drum rear? Shocks, tires. See if the previous owner took the time, effort, money to seal the inside of the gas tank against rust.Been tuned recently? Not a lot of power to spare, so make sure he treated it like a jewel, or at least like an expensive machine on which you will depend, Listen to it idle, if there is unexplained noise, ask him for an explanation, and listen to what he says and doesn't say (did he do his own maintenence? Or a dealer that he used, has service records?)Good Luck.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008   #3

RS125s need careful warming up at every start, in ten years I would bet that it hasn't been followed religiously, a full mechanical inspection is probably the best route to follow. They are also popular for racers and trackdays, have a look at the sump plug for lockwiring and the rims for frequent tyre changes, if the bodywork looks just too new for the condition of the rest of the bike it could have been fitted with replica bodywork, have a look at the brackets supporting the bodywork they buckle in a crash and are difficult to straighten accurately, checking old MOT certificates are sequential can reveal a season of racing or trackdays. You can also look at the owner’s garage see if it is clean and ordered, ask about warming up routines, service intervals, oils used.btw I believe all RS125 model’s tanks use a plastic insert.
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009   #4

ive restored a couple of those in the past..[see link below]...they are quite a well built bike...only thing to look for is ...make sure the power valve workds corectlly..also check for any knocks on the bottom end as conrod cats can be costly..www.thedesertcamel.co.uk ------
desert camel is offline   Reply With Quote