Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Manufacturers > Moto Guzzi > How is a Moto Guzzi as a first bike?

How is a Moto Guzzi as a first bike?

This is a discussion on How is a Moto Guzzi as a first bike? within the Moto Guzzi forums, part of the Manufacturers category; I just turned 40 and I have always wanted a motorcycle. I've taken the course and got my license. Now ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2008   #1

Default How is a Moto Guzzi as a first bike?

I just turned 40 and I have always wanted a motorcycle. I've taken the course and got my license. Now I want a Guzzi. Either a Griso 1100 or a Breva 1100. Given that these are neither super fast nor extremely powerful bikes, would they be ok for a beginner? why and why not?
Robert C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008   #2

They're great nikes. Don't kid yourself about their capabilities. Maybe compared to Japanese litre bikes, they're less powerful, but they can out accelerate any car, and have top speeds that exceed most riders skills and most road conditions. They are more expensive to maintain, but still are reasonable. They are smooth and sweet handling with great torque which is what you want. I wouldn't hesitate to get one, as long as you're willing to accept that if you as a beginner drop it, even at low or no speed, you'll be damaging a very nice bike. A lot of people recommend cheaper bikes to start out, but I just went for it, and wouldn't hesitate to do the same again. Have fun!
Rudy H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008   #3

You've avoided the critical mistake of youth. Guzzi's are an old company with an older but proven drive train called Desmodromic look it up, there's nothing like it. But they are heavy and slow turning.I take it you've seen the bike so you know the cylinders stick out and up like a Harley turned sideways.Good riding.
Dan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008   #4

ivebeen roadracing bikes in europe for 12 years motoguz are crap dont touch it lots of electrial faults . not very fast either buy something japanees pref honda suzuki and dont fall off best of luck from ,
fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008   #5

Stick to the mainstream bikes please... Robert.I am sure you want your first biking experience to be a happy one.I know, when we are new, we are all exited and fired up with new fangled ideas which .... hopefully will make us stand out from the crowd. But it is this same stubbornness which can also land us in a soup and make us shake our head with regret ... a few years down the line.My suggestion is, go to a nearby authorized Honda Dealer and look at their range of bikes, starting from the CBX 250 onwards. We are all eager to reach the top of the class but it is not always easy or recommended. A gradual upgrade will be the natural thing to do. The world is not going to end tomorrow, you know. A wrong choice of bike... and it just might. A close proximity to the service centre is a definite plus factor. Think about it.
Hormazd Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008   #6
g c

If you have taken a safety riding course and understand the basics of motorcycles, I say get the bike you want to ride. Whether it be the Guzzi (great bike), a Harley, Goldwing, or Hayabusa. Just remember the most important thing. Know your limits and your ability and ride within them.
g c is offline   Reply With Quote