Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Manufacturers > Ducati > I want to get sport bike thinking a ducati but how do you know what size to get?

I want to get sport bike thinking a ducati but how do you know what size to get?

This is a discussion on I want to get sport bike thinking a ducati but how do you know what size to get? within the Ducati forums, part of the Manufacturers category; Looking to get a sport bike thinking a ducati but how do you know what size to get? I know ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2008   #1

Default I want to get sport bike thinking a ducati but how do you know what size to get?

Looking to get a sport bike thinking a ducati but how do you know what size to get? I know they cost more than others but I like them and i should be able to manage the cost to get it. backround about my riding I've been riding dirt bikes for about 7 years and have riden a sport bike a couple of times. also how much more will a ducati cost over other bikes to maintain? also i'm 6'3"
snowboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008   #2

monster
pablo35escobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008   #3
VTR

1098 will be good
VTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008   #4

I find that most men that buy a Monster as a starter bike are ready to jump up to a more sporty bike like a used 999 or a new 1098 within the first year so i would say buy unltimatley what you want and you might consider the new 848 which has the looks of the 1098 but a little smaller engine which will still go faster than most adults care to go. I have a 1995 Ducati 916 and had the valves adjusted and an inspection done last year which cost me around $600 but other than an ocassional oil change which I do myself the 600 bones is the only money I have spent on Ducati repairs/maintenance in 3 yrs which I won't have to do again for many more yrs to come.
JT T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008   #5

Ducati's are nice bikes but the desmo drive trains can be tough to deal with and a pain to service. Why are you looking at Ducati's for the Euro mystic? or the VTwin power? or merely think they are cool?I would suggest looking at the japense V-twin bikes and triumph, the new triples seem to be fairing very well.In general with your large frame and experience dirt bike riding I would suggest something with a more"standard"seating position like a ducati monster, yamaha fz1, triumph tiger, dare I say it even a buell Ullesys (sp).If you have your heart set on a Ducati, I would suggest the Monster S2R 1000 if you want power and reliability. If you want all out performance I would suggest the Monster S4Rs but this is liquid cooled desmo drive train.
Eric C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009   #6

Couldn't really reccomend a Ducati. They have inferior performance and reliability compared the big four Japanese companies and Triumph and they cost more too. They aren't a bad bike it's just that they aren't up to the standards that the Japanese and British have set. A good size if your just starting would be from 600-700 cc's. If you've been riding awhile then you could probably handle anything. I'm 6'5 and can comfortably ride most any superbike with very minor modifications so I wouldn't worry to much about that. ------
rhand182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009   #7

Dirt bikes will do nothing for you beyond knowing how to shift. On the street, the leaning is different, braking is different, and there is no sliding. Also, a street bike will go faster in 1st gear than a dirt bike will do balls-out. If you want a Duc, go for a Monster 620 and learn.If you must have a sportbike, stick with 600cc or lower (650cc if it's a twin). Unfortunately, Ducati doesn't make anything that qualifies. ------
bikernoj is offline   Reply With Quote