Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Manufacturers > Honda > VTX > I am wanting to buy a new cruiser at least 1100cc....(only riders respond please)?

I am wanting to buy a new cruiser at least 1100cc....(only riders respond please)?

This is a discussion on I am wanting to buy a new cruiser at least 1100cc....(only riders respond please)? within the VTX forums, part of the Honda category; I am looking at the Yamaha Roadstar warrior, or just the 1100 Yamaha. My friends are encouraging the 1300 VTX ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2008   #1

Default I am wanting to buy a new cruiser at least 1100cc....(only riders respond please)?

I am looking at the Yamaha Roadstar warrior, or just the 1100 Yamaha. My friends are encouraging the 1300 VTX Honda, and I am considering a Harley Road King. The big question is the final drive, belt or shaft? Anyone who rides these want to give me reviews on handling, low end torque, horsepower, or maintenance. I am about 5'7 and I weigh 120lb. so weight is an issue. Thank you so much for your time!
starchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008   #2

All are good looking bikes with lots of power, and you would be happy with most. I have always been fond of shaft drive, If if goes out it may cost more to fix but it will be a long time before that happens. Look at several sizes above what you are talking about, and test them, I have and 1800 and at first I was worried about the weight, but now I am so glad I went big, I like the power and handiling. Go try some heavier bikes so you know for sure.
dbirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010   #3

I have a '94 Honda 1100C with 42,000 miles and a '07 VTX 1300C to compare. It all started with a Honda VT 600 aka VLX600; was too small and not enough power. Moved up to 1100 and was satisfied for about a year. When I discussed with my mechanic who is a VT1100 Spirit rider for many years, he suggested the Vstar 1100 for a bit more power. On a short Sunday brunch trip I came across a VLX600 rider who said he tried out the VTX line and like the three bears, his VLX was too small, the VTX1800 was too big and the VTX 1300 was JUST RIGHT! So I tried out a 13 X and fell in love the first moment I drove it. I am 5'10" - 265 lbs - 42" waist - 30 " inseam and feel it would be a nice fit whether 100 lbs. or 265 lbs. Seat height and most importantly, seat width is just right. Find a VTX 1300 (C is my favorite model)and try it out. One word of caution - the steering is a little "ghosty" feeling with the original ball bearing steering head bearings. The shaft is the EXACT diameter of the 1800 model which comes with cone style head bearings. I hear the difference is incredible so if you can find one that has already been done, try it out. I am having mine swapped over in the next month and adding a "batwing" style fairing w/ stereo after the bearings are installed. I won the fiberglass fairing on Ebay for $250 w/ shipping and radio cove/bracket. Has not arrived yet. I hear this really helps with head wind and the bike settles down even more with the additional 28 lbs of weight haning off the front forks. The bike is real clean with all wires hidden from the sides of the engine. My bike also has the 8" rise and 6" back 1.5" handle bars so all the handlebar control wires are hidden thru the bars. With the fairing being installed, it's not really needed now since the fairing would have hidden the wires. But the height and pull back I think makes the bike easier to handle and cruise.

Shaft, chain or belt? Have had them all Shaft on Shadow 500, CX500, Magna VF750C, Kawi Vulcan 1500, VT1100 and VTX 1300. Have loved it on all models, never had a problem.
Belt on Kawi KZ440LTD, it was smooth but the belt lasts 2 chains costs 3x more and still had to adjust from time to time.
Chain on many many bikes from 175 all the way up to Yamaha Radeon 600 and VLX600. All I can say is YUK - dirty and a royal maintenance pain. adjust, clean/oil every couple hundred miles. YUK

Harley is another topic. I have no real driving opinion about Harley's; only drove two models (an older 1980ish sporty 1000 and a $30,000 Jack Daniels Midnight "something or other" 13 or 1400) Neither floated my boat. What I do not like about Harley's is the fact I can own and operate a VT1100 and VTX1300 for less than the cost of one "cadillac" (Harley). I like the fact that when I drive up to a harley, I sound better, run smoother and have as much (if not slightly more) power and torque. All for far less than I could have or afford in a Harley. Not very subjective on the Harley side.

Hope this helps....
netsk8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by starchild View Post
I am looking at the Yamaha Roadstar warrior, or just the 1100 Yamaha. My friends are encouraging the 1300 VTX Honda, and I am considering a Harley Road King. The big question is the final drive, belt or shaft? Anyone who rides these want to give me reviews on handling, low end torque, horsepower, or maintenance. I am about 5'7 and I weigh 120lb. so weight is an issue. Thank you so much for your time!
I read two big questions:
1- Is 129 lb and 5'7" big enough for a 1100cc and up ? With a seat height properly adjusted, you can drive just about any cruiser, and faster that anyone else who is heavier and taller than you are. Let's say, 1100cc and up may be more challenging than you think, to say the least.

You don't want to drop your bike, but would you be able to put it back up if it did fell, unattended or not ? I took advanced driving course where this was an exercise to perform with a precise technique not to get hurt. Most short and light drivers were not able to put their bike back up. They all had heavy cruisers like the ones you are targeting.

2- Final drive Belts are lighter, cheaper, require little maintenance and are performing fine on a cruiser.