Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Manufacturers > Honda > VTX > I need to know how the internal assembly on my throttle works.?

I need to know how the internal assembly on my throttle works.?

This is a discussion on I need to know how the internal assembly on my throttle works.? within the VTX forums, part of the Honda category; I have a VTX 1300. I am installing a Vista Universal Cruise, but the screw for the throttle assembly is ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2008   #1

Default I need to know how the internal assembly on my throttle works.?

I have a VTX 1300. I am installing a Vista Universal Cruise, but the screw for the throttle assembly is stripped. So I have removed the grip to give it more room, but there is a"button-like"device inside the white throttle part. In the process of removing the grip, this"button"got pressed in. What function does this serve? I cannot get it to come back to its original position. Anyone with a Honda VTX should be able to unscrew the end cap on the throttle grip and see this metal"button"I can reassemble the grip with the Vista installed, but I am concerned about the function of this part. Can someone shed some light on this for me? Thanks in advance.The stripped screw was on the throttle assembly itself. I eventually used a dremel to make a flat head screw and found a matchin screw in my arsenalto replace it. In the meantime, I hada chane to look at things closer, andthe part I am talking about is not accessible unless yotake everything off. The handlebar is solid to the end, and this part is inside the bar. It doesn't really seem to affect anything, and I have tested the bike, and it seems to run ok. I have no yet tested the Vista Cruise. I had taken te grip off,whc posed someproblems lat night, but I used contact cement wth a screw driver to push the cement betweem the grip and the plastic. It seems to have dried ovenight. I still am not sure what the"button"thing does, but I will be testing te bke out for a few days before I hit te road wih it. Just from what I saw,it appears to be an end cap of sorts. So instead of it being at the end, it is pushed in about an inch or so. I will test the Vista this afternoon. Thanks.
ciresmis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008   #2

I've never had your bike's throttle grip off, but nearly all bikes have a projection, knob or something that fits into a hole in the handlebar. This keeps the entire throttle assembly from rotating on the handlebar. This was especially important on the old Hondas in the 70's. On them, the handlebar switch wiring was routed through the inside of the handlebar which gave it a nice clean look. The problem was that if you dumped the bike, the mirror or clutch-brake lever would twist the assembly and cut off the wiring slick as a whistle.When you say the screw is stripped, which screw are you talking about? The one that holds the two halves of the grip assembly together? If the stripped bolt is going to leave things loose, try getting an SAE thread bolt-screw (inch size). Sometimes they are just slightly bigger than the metric and can be threaded into the hole. If you need threads cut in the aluminum and don't have the proper tap, get another screw of the correct size and cut or grind a sharp edged groove the length of the bolt shank. This will make it act like a tap.
bikinkawboy is offline   Reply With Quote