Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Manufacturers > Honda > CBR > Is a '97 CBR 900RR worth the 2,000 the guy wants for it?

Is a '97 CBR 900RR worth the 2,000 the guy wants for it?

This is a discussion on Is a '97 CBR 900RR worth the 2,000 the guy wants for it? within the CBR forums, part of the Honda category; So I found a guy out in the boonies who has a 1997 CBR 900RR Fireblade, The bike is pretty ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2010   #1

Question Is a '97 CBR 900RR worth the 2,000 the guy wants for it?

So I found a guy out in the boonies who has a 1997 CBR 900RR Fireblade, The bike is pretty clean, couple of small dents in the tank and someone has painted it before, not the best paint job in the world but its not to bad. Everything else appears to be good to go on the bike. Its got 14,000 miles on it, from my knowledge that not a whole lot for being 13yrs old right? The guy has it out in his barn, I stumbled across it through a friend of a friend, I asked the guy if he was intrested in selling it and he said he would sell it for 2,800 well I didnt want to give him that much so I offered 1,500 knowing he wouldnt take it and we could meet in the middle and I could get it for what I wanted! Well, we agreed on a price of 2,000! Should I buy this bike or what? Also, where is the best place to get aftermarket parts for it, like relocating the exhaust to above the rear tire and dressing the bike up a bit.
oldtoys72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010   #2

If compression test and overall mechanical inspection is good, including a road test (clutch, transmission, suspension, alignment), I think 2000$ is OK for such a great bike. A friend of mine has one and loves every minute he spends on it. Finding parts for a 30 years old Honda like mine only starts to be difficult. At 13years old, this bike is still a teenager, so finding parts is easy. Finding parts other than OEM is another story.

Last edited by lamimartin; 04-18-2010 at 06:17 PM.
lamimartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010   #3

The bike checked out ok when I road tested it! Everything seems good with the bike, and it's only got 14,000 miles on it to boot! I have been looking around for various aftermarket parts for the bike and seem to be able to find most everything I have been looking for, the one thing I cant find is a Chrome windscreen/windshield, any thoughts?
oldtoys72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010   #4

I'm happy you already tested it.

We hope the odometer at 14,000miles is original, but poor maintenance, abuse or neglected winter storage damages won't show unless you perform a compression test for instance. A four cylinder engine is pretty expensive to overhaul. It would likely double the cost of your purchase. Bottom line, that's what's matter.

If you like the bike performance and are pretty confident about the mechanical shape, I don't see why you worry about finding a windshield. Such item is worth the price of a set of tires on such a bike !

Have fun !