Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Manufacturers > Honda > Goldwing > Starting a long stored 85 goldwing gl1200?

Starting a long stored 85 goldwing gl1200?

This is a discussion on Starting a long stored 85 goldwing gl1200? within the Goldwing forums, part of the Honda category; I recently aquired an 85 goldwing aspencade. It had stabil put in the fuel about 7 years ago when it ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2008   #1

Default Starting a long stored 85 goldwing gl1200?

I recently aquired an 85 goldwing aspencade. It had stabil put in the fuel about 7 years ago when it was parked. It was in perfect running order when it was covered and garaged. I am planning on changing the fluids and the plus as well as draining the tank and pumping carb cleaner with some gas through the fuel pump and changing the filter. Also I am going to drain the floats and then spray some penetrating oil in the cylinders in it before I try to crank it over. Anyone think of anything else I can do before I try to give this thing a start?
djjeffyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008   #2

just one more thing, check rubber hoses for splitting. the fuel pipe may have dried out , check brake fluid hoses too.
david h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009   #3

I would also change the timing belts and check the brakes out really good. You will need to look at the tires for cracks.

Good luck. I did one not to long ago. The two biggest problems was the fuel system and hydraulics system (brake and clutch)
FlashGordonLTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009   #4

Look inside the air box.Small animals like to build nests in them. ------
guardrailjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009   #5

Smell the oil filler hole in the crankcase.If it smells like there's fuel in it,change the oil and filter and clean the carbs.You'll more than likely have to clean the carbs anyway regardless of the stabilizer.I mean completely disassemble the carbs..And that's just the beginning.If you don't take the carbs apart and verify that they are completely clean,you take the chance of burning your engine up.I've never seen a Japanese motorcycle that has sat up that long that didn't need a thorough carb clean.Check all rubber hoses and obstructions in the airbox.You may have a lot more problems than you want to get in to unless you know how to do all of your own work. ------
Yamaha man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009   #6

Yeah, what Guardrailjim said about small animals is spot on.Also, clean and gap the spark plugs.Inspect the fuses too -- I mean, pull them out one at a time, wipe them off, put them back. The contacts can get corrosion from sitting for long periods of time. The same is true of the starter and kill switches, but it's much harder to dissect those than to pull out fuses, and I'm lazy. ------
emucompboy is offline   Reply With Quote