Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Manufacturers > Yamaha > R6 > Yamaha R6 For First Bike?

Yamaha R6 For First Bike?

This is a discussion on Yamaha R6 For First Bike? within the R6 forums, part of the Yamaha category; I am 21 years old and I weight 170lbs. I will be taking my motorcycle course in August, so I ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2008   #1

Default Yamaha R6 For First Bike?

I am 21 years old and I weight 170lbs. I will be taking my motorcycle course in August, so I plan to buy a bike next spring. I have never rode a motorcycle before but I do drive a manual transmission car. Do you think the R6 is a good first bike or would you recommend something else. (I really don't want to go anything under a 600cc engine).Thank you.
FreeSkier87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #2

>>I have never rode a motorcycle beforeSure... Get yourself the R6. Just know that it will probably kill you.http://home1.gte.net/res0ak9f/bike.htm===You need to respect the dangers of riding. You are still learning well into 1 or 2 years of riding. Riding a motorcycle is 25 to 30 time MORE DANGEROUS than driving a car. You don't take short cuts on motorcycle safety.I ride and I well respect the dangers. So I don't do stupid stuff when I ride. Riding a bike I'm not ready for is VERY STUPID and dangerous.====Yes you will out grow a small 250cc bike. But many people out grow R6. So using that logic, everybody should start with a 1000cc bike or bigger.NOT !!good luck...P.S. Sorry to be so blunt.
Lover not a Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009   #3

Not a good bike for a beginner, not to mention the high cost of insurance on sportbikes. I would suggest a Yamaha V-Star 650, Honda Shadow 750, or something along that line of bikes AND a motorcycle rider safety course to boot.............
bigjerry61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009   #4
J G

I'd tend to agree - it's not the engine size though, the 600 class are designed for outright speed&handling - they need concentration&skill, as do all bikes, but a lapse on a 600 can&will hurt or kill you. Do some advanced rider training - in the UK, I think that Honda still offer this with all new bikes, and go for a more stable machine - if you're after a big bike, a Honda VFR 750 or 800 has around the same performance as a 600, but are far more stable&tractable. Personally, I would suggest you sharpen up your reflexes first on a 400 import - all the big makers do them, they're great! ------
J G is offline   Reply With Quote